cctv_seeker

Help me prevent weekly 13 minute burglary shopping sprees

Can I get some recommendations for a CCTV security system under $4500. After enduring a home burglary, I replaced my previous 10 year old security system which was not monitored with a completely new home security system monitored by ADT. To avoid being the weekly victim of another burglar enjoying a 13 minute free shopping spree courtesy of the local police department response time, I would like to install a CCTV system that may encourage the police to pursue an investigation and even attempt to obtain fingerprints.

I have been discouraged by CCTV choices presented by the top three national home security systems - either high priced or insufficient coverage. So now I am considering purchasing the hardware from online retailers and contacting a local home security installer who would be willing to install third party equipment.

I will attempt to provide a description of what I believe are important factors for recommending a CCTV system.

The home I would like to secure is a two story colonial with no basement covering 50' X 30' with the long axis oriented along the north/south axis. The front of the house faces East. The two door garage is situated on the the NE corner with a driveway extending 300 feet to the nearest public road. The road frontage is 250 feet.

I would like the first PTZ camera to have motion sensor activated auto-tracking and install this camera on the second floor suffit at the SE corner of the house. I would like this camera to detect motion within a radius of 150 feet at anytime during the day or night. Four motion sensor lights detecting motion within 30 feet of garage or front entrance door and a single motion sensor pole mounted yard light located 30 feet in front of the front door beside the driveway will provide some assistance in obtaining a visual record of facial features of any potential burglars.

I would like a second PTZ camera to be installed on the second floor suffit on the SW corner of the house. I would like this camera to detect any motion within a 150 foot radius but to primarily focus on activity around the back patio door. Additional assistance in securing the back porch is provided by a motion sensor light and the fence enclosing a 40' by 20' concrete porch. The back yard extends over 20 acres before encountering the next public road.

I hope it is possible to build a CCTV system that satisfies these requirements using PTZ cameras for less than $4500. If not, what is the minimum number of fixed position cameras that will increase the probability of obtaining a visual record that will encourage the police department to take a more active role in pursuing an investigation of future burglaries? I am looking for recommendations for cameras as well as DVRs.

the ptzs will run you over your budget alone and they arent a good solution in my opinion for home surveillance with no one controlling/monitoring them,

setup 3 megapixel cams(mobotix - outdoor no housing needed and will record direct to a nas) running to a cheap nas box or xp server for storage

Thanks griffonsystems for your recommendation of Mobotix based CCTV security system. If 2 PTZ cameras with unattended autotracking is not within my budget, could a solution be found using one autotracking PTZ camera to monitor the front of the home and a non-autotracking PTZ camera for the back? There is at least one online retailer - 123securityproducts that sells multiple "PTZ" cameras with prices ranging from $500 to $1500. (I have seen some models from Speco and Samsung.) What is the lowest price for a PTZ camera with autotracking? I did forget to mention in my original post that the $4500 budget was just for equipment; installation costs are not included in this budget.

It will be easy to find someone to install third party equipment.

What will be hard to do is to get someone to come back out when you have problems with the equipment. They will come back to fix the wiring, or to fix something related to the install, but they will not come out to help you "relearn the menu" because the police are standing there wanting the video footage, and you are having problems navigating the menu, or problems creating a backup to hand to them.

You may have to ask what it would cost to provide support. That is more valuable then the install itself.

I would try to find someone who can provide the equipment at a budget more to your likeing. The reason it is so expensive it that we are required to carry insurance, and workmans comp (brutally expensive).

Plus for every install you have to buy caulk, new drill bits, low voltage trim rings, blank wall plate with a hole for the wires to come out of, 9/16 staples, drywall screws, concrete screws, butt splices, electrical tape, plastic anchors, and zip ties. This will cost big $ easy without trying!

A two story house is not for the light hearted. You really have to know some construction techniques, and you have to have real world experience to run wires.

For hidden wire installs, and not wrapping wires around a two story house then you will have to remove can lights on the first floor, and use rods to pull the wire to where it needs to go. You need to know where closets are on the first floor, and on the second floor so that you can run wires up, (or down). What lines up between the floors. Is there an AC closet that is above dead space (behind wall niches ect), or a pantry?

One one high end install we had to rip up the carpet on the second floor, and cut between the joists, and we ran the wires under the second story floor. The flooring was reinstalled, and the carpet was tacked back down.

This is what the customer wanted, and this may not be what you want, but it is a thought.

Do not mount cameras on the roofline, and have them look down. You will only see the bald spot on your crook! Bring them down, and run the wires right!

For every group of installers there will be the one that gives the other a black eye. Be very careful, and do due diligence. I would even recommend having a quick background check performed on the installer who agrees to install third party equipment.

Protect yourself! Trust no one! That includes me! Get it in writing what he will install, and how he will install it. Write down what you will be responcible for, and what he will be responcible for. If you cannot afford an attorney then at least go to your bank and have them notorize the paper, and have both of you sign it. This will help you in small claims court.

What do you think?

Thank you Scorpion for all the good advice.

If the CCTV cameras are as reliable as home security systems (My previous system ran reliably for 10 years without a service call other than to replace the battery once), I would not expect to need to call the installer to service the system for repairs. Nevertheless, your advice regarding obtaining a written contract outlining warranty and responsibilities of the installer are steps I will be including.

One of the reasons why I am leaning toward a CCTV installer other than ADT was the reduced risk of an installer obtaining knowledge of both the home security system and CCTV system.

The reason I chose installation under the 2nd floor soffit was to avoid placing expensive cameras within reach of 12Lb sledgehammer. With my home situated on 6 acres with the closest public road access being 300' away, I was expecting a video record could be obtained that would not be simply a shot of the intruder's bald spot. I expect burglars will not be parking their vehicles 300' feet away if they intend to walk away with 80lb television, so a PTZ camera should detect and record the approach of an intruder before recording their bald spot. To supplement this initial installation of CCTV system, I was planning on adding (later within 12 mos) hidden wireless indoor video surveillance with the goal of obtaining that critical "face" shot.

After a quick review of PTZ cameras offered from one online vendor, I found the Panasonic WV-CS954 PTZ camera with specs that include auto-tracking for under $1700.

Does this PTZ camera have a reputation for reliable operation and high quality video?

cctv_seeker wrote: "With my home situated on 6 acres with the closest public road access being 300' away" To add to scorpions advice I would suggest that you try to get cam coverage at or near the point of entry to the property-set up a descreet position if distance is a problem then use a cam with tele-fixed on the area so you can monitor entry and exit traffic exclusive- keep this cam isolated from your other typical visible mounted cams in cojunction with your system. From what you describe sounds like a lot of systems Ive designed for (larger) rural properties and have worked very well. If possible the addition of service dog(s) will aid in preventing occurrences by instilling doubt and second thought, often suspects will move on to another property when they know dogs are present. Good Luck

If I use the PTZ camera solution instead of the Mobotix 3M pixel camera solution, one proposed configuration within my budget includes the Speco DVR-4TN/160 DVR, a Panasonic WV-CS-954 Camera for the front of the house, and a Speco HT-INTB8 bullet camera for the rear. Will there be any incompatibility issues from the use of the Panasonic camera with the Speco DVR?

you wont be able to program the camera using specos dvr you will have to buy a joystick/keyboard from pano to do that

i would see if you can test the pano autotrack ptz on your house before you purchase if you can find a pano mfg rep in your area... autotracking is not easy and in my opinion doesnt work 80% of the time - but you have picked the best autotracking camera out there

First, thanks for providing details on your setup and what you want to do - and having a decent budget . And for thinking about lighting and not asking for IR.

I don't think PTZ are well suited to homes. I have one and I know that I could have had better coverage with 5 fixed cameras for the price of the one PTZ. The PTZ is excellent, but while it is looking over there -> it is missing something over there <-

Set aside the PTZ idea for a second and think about approaches. Good coverage comes from a mix of wide angle and close up. I have a camera just below eye level when you come up to the front door.

If you really want to pull out the stops, think about exterior perimeter detection. Using either PIR or photobeams, you can know who is near your house before they get to the front door. Any good video system will accept alarm inputs. I get an email on my phone when anyone gets near my house. I can then remotely access my camera system to look at logs and live video. Yes, I get some photos of cats.

Don't forget to put a camera coving your utility panel, because if I'm going to break into a house, I'm first going to cut the power and then wait for the battery backup on the alarm system to die. That's why I get an email when my power goes out, and my video system is on a battery backup.

My setup is over kill for most homes, but after our burglary I got a bit paranoid.