rory

Phone System

not computer, or CCTV related, but does anyone know how many pairs of wire a phone system extension uses please? Is it just 1 pair? Say the system has 2 lines for example, and we already have 2 extensions (100 & 101), we want 1 more extenstion (102). Im not hooking it up or anything, just want to know how many pairs to leave for them.

thanks

Rory

Rory if you're gonna use an normal analogue phone, 1 pair is all you need, if you're using a system phone then its usually 2 pairs. Which PBX system do you have?, if its a traditional panasonic PBX then its definitely 2 pairs.

By system phone i mean:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/communication_systems/dig_sup_hybrid_phones.asp

Normal analogue phone could be anything like a DECT cordless or just a typical phone, if you;re using one of these, you can't select the line, it'll pick up the first available one, where as a system phone, you'll have a console to select the line.

Rory, on most PBXs, you can put an analogue or system phones, we also install them. FOr the customer we usually give them 1/2 system phones and the rest traditional analogue phones which are also connected to the phone system. Its entirely up to you, if you want to put a normal analogue phone then leave 1 pair, or if you want a system phone then leave 2 pairs.

I have seen telephone systems use anything from 25 pairs (75 for the receptionist phone!) down to 1 pair. But generally 1 or 2 pairs for modern systems. But be forwarned, I still run into a lot of old AT&T systems that use 4 pairs.

Hey CCTVINSTALLER, I love those Panasonic systems. I even have the KXTD with the TVS voicemail in my house. And it's the same system in Ozzy Osbourne's house! It does indeed take 2 pairs for full functionality. But as you probably know; in a pinch you can get away with 1 pair if you don't need the eXtra Device Port (XDP). So the center pair is actually for plugging in a single line phone like a cordless phone, or an answering machine. The digital pair needed for the system phone is the second pair.

C7, glad there's someone who appreciates panasonics systems Lol, i was watching the Osbournes the other month and saw those same system phones we use! Its very popular down here. We use a lot of the kxtd 208s and kx-Ta624s for small businesses, very reliable indeed, never had a single problem, apart from the older SBS system phones, we've had quite a few problems with sound quality!

You gone into VOIP installations yet?

they dont have one yet, its a small retail, they'll just want 2 extenstion, maybe not eve, we may just run the main phone line .

C7, glad there's someone who appreciates panasonics systems Lol, i was watching the Osbournes the other month and saw those same system phones we use! Its very popular down here. We use a lot of the kxtd 208s and kx-Ta624s for small businesses, very reliable indeed, never had a single problem, apart from the older SBS system phones, we've had quite a few problems with sound quality!

You gone into VOIP installations yet?

Did you mean 308? or do you guys have a 208? I'm using the 308 here at the house. with the TVS50 voicemail. I have worked on the 624's. Those being analog need both pairs. I wasn't really paying attention to ozzy's show. But I heard the phone ringing and knew right away it was a panasonic I looked up just in time to see him answering a KX-T7436. (the big 6 line display!) I was suprized to see white phones. Black desksets are way more popular around here.

I haven't done anywork with VoIP. I guess I better get upto speed with the technology.

Yea, that was meant to be 206, sometimes with the 308 upgrade card. Its a great system, So used to PBX installations, havent really looked at the VOIP technology, gonna visit the comms show later on this year, will try to understand what all the hype is about! Bit like IP cameras! What about ISDN installations?

Sounds like you guys have some different systems to play with over there. Over here all I have ever seen for a small KXTD was the 308. It comes 308 with no expansion options.

ISDN? Not too much, but I do work with HiCap circuits Like T's and xDSL as they pertain to interfacing with Local Area Networks. Mostly at the physical layer. i.e. I'm a cable puller

Besides cabling a lot of my work is as a subcontractor for National companies that dispatch service calls to large chain stores. I get dispatched to service anything from phones, PA's, network issues, and so on.

we need some 'real' cable pullers down here, all we's got is electricians (if you would call some of them that) .. and gee, some have never even touched a piece of coax!!!!!

I have some electricians around here that pull data cabling. They pretty much get it done. But the design isn't to the level of what I can do and they just don't make it look nice. And the networks technically aren't up to spec. No test certifications for one.

Some electricians in the larger city 60 miles South of me know what they are doing though. I was actually 2+ years into an electrician apprenticeship in the mid 90's. Then the dot com thing took off and working in "Telecom Valley" opened up an opportunity I didn't want to pass up.

true .. yep, well I got 2 electricians trained pretty good, well one i have for a couple years now,works closely with high end clients, but then he raised all his prices, even though that isnt that bad, he is always busy now!

the other, i started using him now for everything, neat, fast and cheaper .. I mean he still doesnt know what the other guy does, and especially as far as tricks of the trade, but at least he can bend a conduit Ill show or he will learn the rest as we get more jobs ..

actually, last 2 jobs I ran all the cable myself, and there is no interference .. i have to rewire or at least move some cable for one job that has nothing but interference on and off .. they will eventually get it I hope, keep that video able as far as possible away from high voltage ... in my case I ran cat5 at least 1 foot and it is okay.. I think they just ran it all over the florescent lighting etc ...

But my biggest problem is with other electricians, like for prewired homes, with CCTV and alarms .. they are like, we will run the conduit you buy and pull the wire (we dont know where to get that from, they say - im talking Telco or Coax in alot of cases!!)..im like, heck, why dont i just friggin run the conduit also !!!!