scorpion

linksys dns 192.168.1.254 What???

I had a customer who set up their own DVR, and networking.

He used the 192.168.1.254 for the DVR dns.

No. I do not know why.

The linksys router now has an internal dns of 192.168.1.254

The router no longer goes on the internet.

I have tried using the reset button on the back, and the reset to factory default in the menu.

Question:

How do I get rid of the dns of 192.168.1.254?

I called linksys, and they put me through the routine of pulling the router power, the modem power, and stand on your head, and hold your breath routine.

Tech support then told me that I have to get a user name, and a password from the ISP (ATT).

I think they are going to set me up with PPPOE. No thanks!

I told the customer to take the router back from where they bought it from, and get another one.

This will get the customer back on the internet, and with the right DNS they can then review the DVR remotely.

I am still wanting to know how that 192.168.1.254 got in to the router. Did the router pull it from the DVR while the DVR is in static mode??

I would still like to know if there is a way to change that DNS.

Things that make you go hmmmm???

what router model? routers usually have the x.1 and access point have the x.254...............

I have had some reset issues with linksys access points before. Check your power supply to make sure it is working up to snuff. When I had those problems I found I had grabbed the wrong linksys power supply.......duh. after I got that right things seems to work better.

later........

The modem may be a modem/router set in router mode rather than bridge mode and the linksys is picking up the DNS of 192.168.1.254 from the modem.

192.168.1.254 is the default for many broadband modems and modem/routers, just as you can use 192.168.1.1 as the DNS setting in a computer attached to a linksy router (assuming the linksys setting hasn't been changed), 192.168.1.254 can probably be used as the DNS setting in a computer or other device attached to a modem.

You could disconnect the router from the modem but leave the router connected to the computer and then reset the router and you will probably see no DNS, reconnect the router to the modem and it will probably show 192.168.1.254 again.

I hate LinkSys routers for this application... I have yet to run into one where it consistently hands the DVR the same IP, which makes port forwarding a PITA. Nothing like having your customer call complaining he can't access his router from home, then discovering it's because the DVR went from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.101, for no apparent reason... then having him call again the next day because it's gone back to 192.168.1.100.

I hate LinkSys routers for this application... I have yet to run into one where it consistently hands the DVR the same IP, which makes port forwarding a PITA. Nothing like having your customer call complaining he can't access his router from home, then discovering it's because the DVR went from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.101, for no apparent reason... then having him call again the next day because it's gone back to 192.168.1.100.

You should set a fixed local ip in the DVR, either before or after the range of dynamic IPs handed out by the router. If you set the DVR to use a dynamic local ip its likely that it will be handed a different ip in the event of a reboot. The problem will likely be worse if there are other computers connected to the router using dynamic local IP's.

I use 192.168.1.2 for the ip address in the DVR but you could use 2 to 99 or 150 and above to avoid the default range of dynamic IP's handed out by the linksys.

Doug

That's what I've always ended up doing.... thing is, it's never been a problem with a D-Link, Belkin, or any other brand I've used, nor should it be. Unless the DVR is offline past the lease expiry, the IP should never change; if it is, the router IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

Almost all D-Links I see also have a 'reserved IP' option as well, which is particularly handy because if I ever have to change out the DVR, I just apply the new machine's MAC address to the reservation for its IP, and I don't have to mess with changing all my port-forwarding destinations.