Suprfknman

Bosch DESA XL dvr replacing system hard drive & reload

I have a Bosch Desa XL 16ch dvr. I have the factory restore dvd. This unit has separate hard drives for the operating system (winxppro) and the video storage. I am replacing the os hard drive only. The original one was 80gb I believe. I took a 250gb hard drive and made a 100gb partition on another computer and formatted it with ntfs. The bios sees the hard drive fine. When I boot off the bosch restore disc it gives me a partition not found error and will not let me go past it. Does anyone have any experience with this, any help would be appreciated. Bosch tech support will not discuss internal hardware replacement they are pretty helpful with other issues but its a brick wall with this.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Here is what you should do...

First off, determine the exact size of your "c" drive size, which I am sure is partitioned different than others... if it is the older version 80GB, then you have to make sure to partition your new drive to contain 80GB and the rest allocated for storage. Another thing must be done is when you are slicing the drive for 80G or system required size, make sure to mark it "active"...

When you are trying to restore the system, it is looking for the original 80GB or less of partition (newer version operate different).

We converted quite of few of these type of hard drives for similar systems in the past and the trick always is to make sure that you provide exact system drive size for the restore CD to recognize and make sure that such slice of the drive is active!

Bosch tech support is excellent across the board and I can even claim that they are the best in the industry (not including Bosch three years warranty on most of their hardware and with 24 hours turn around for the defective part). However, they are not instructed to help reconfiguration or reload of the systems... and there are no paperwork that they can provide showing how to do it.

Hope it helps.