CoolDude

One Continuous Recording

Playing around with a cheap DVR, Comet 4C. One problem is it only records continuously as one file unless the recorder is stopped and restarted then it creates a new file. Any good way to do this automatically as I do not want to use motion in this application?

How many files do you want?

Are you a computer tinkerer?

In the back of the manual there are commands for using RS232, and you can create a program that cycles the recording. Just be advised to others reading this post that the DVR will not be recording during the recycle, and you may have an event that does not get recorded.

You could also take two timers, and plug them in to each other. You can set one to go off at PM, and the other to come on at the same time. You can cycle it yourself when you first get up. That should give you two files a day.

What about setting it to alarm, and using a timer that triggers the cameras to give you multi files? You will have to solder to the connector that came with the DVR (or buy one at a computer store). You can trigger a particular camera, or all 4 cameras.

I would not recommend the Comet 4 if you are using the internet to view it. It is only a simplex machine, and I would rather you get a used Nubix 4BC (AVC 760), and it is multiplexed.

Do you need a manual?

I am impressed that you have a device that is still working!!!

How old is it? 4 years old?