rory

Linksys Router Going mad

not even hooked up to a DVR, no static IP.

Anyway, its cable internet - what happened is originaly they had a hub, and paid for 3 extra computers ..this is before the routers came out .. anyway, been like this for years, now we have switched to a router, tried a couple actually, so router is good.

Basically we downgraded the account, and told them to get rid of that extra 3 computer thing ..

What happens now is every couple hours or so, all lights blink like crazy on the router and they loose internet connection ..

Im thinking maybe the account still has that 3 extra computer thing and they keep trying to ping the computers and get a conflict as they are using the routers internal IP ..? What do yall think??

Ive been down to the cable company twice so far ... 2nd time I found out they had not yet downgraded the account ..this time I signed the form ..anyway .. we are not allowed to use routers here ..acording to the cable co anyway so I cant tell them anything about that .

Ive disabled the router's DHCP server feature for now and see what happens ..or would that mean it wont distribute the internal IPs at all now?

Rory

If you disabled the DHCP then it will no longer give out a ip. But if the computers already received one prior to your disabling it the computer will not ask for another until the lease time is up. Some routers have this time set to a year or more.

I would clone the MAC of one of the computers and give it to the router. A lot of cable company's use MAC filtering to prevent “unauthorized equipmentâ€

ok i did the clone, and it worked, but still goes down .. different though .. the router's PC lights dont blink as they did before, but the internet light on the router blinks now ..then the internet does not work.

I have used the clone mac on other routers by the way, and no issues, In fact I have never had an issue before with any Linksys router.

Client just emailed me again to let me know it wasnt working again.

Its the kind of client that has the money to pay for anything, so this is another reason I need to get this working if yah know ...

Im looking at the router remotely now, one thing I dont know, what is "Filter Multicast"

Also, IPs assigned are 100-102. DHCP Server is enabled, start IP is 100. Client lease time is 0.

The MAC I have cloned is from one of the computers.

Only thing I can think now, is as it is sunday tomorrow, and there is noone in at the cable co to help, I plug the HUB back in and see what happens. If more than 1 computer works, I know they have not changed it at their end. Secondly, would be to go down (3rd time) in person and see someone I know in the Static IP dept and have them pull up the account and check it out, have them totally delete the account and go from scratch .. they know I use Routers with DVRs so they shouldnt say anything, plus they are much more technical than the other ones I dealt with already. What yah think?

I cant tell this client I really dont have time for this right now, while really I dont, as Im in the middle of 2 CCTV jobs ... plus a few large quotes ... but yah know ... its like i already have a couple headaches as it is!! In fact one is an alarm and CCTV new/upgrade/move .. the other the client keeps adding new things ... plus im working on a web site I have to complete before monday/tuesday ..

anyway ..

thanks

rory

also, if I "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" (new name for firewall?) do you think that may help? Stop the cable co from pinging it so much? Or maybe it will just stop it working all together?

BTW, When she restarts the cable modem for 30 seconds it then works fine ...

Rory

You may want to try a new cable modem.

I had a account I spent 2 hrs playing with the router. I called cable tech support and they said the modem was fine.

I changed it out anyway, and he has never had a problem since.

The filter multicast makes multicast messages not broadcast to all the computers just the ones that are in the multicast group.

The Block Anonymous Internet Requests is just blocking ICMP Echo (aka ping) traffic.

Rory, you may want to try this:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> tracert google.com and look at the first few IP addresses. If you're seeing two 192.168.*.* or 172.*.*.* or 10.*.*.* addresses the modem may be acting as a router.

he didnt try that, but its an old modem, and seems to be working fine. Twice in a few months that I hooked up the router it has been doing this only when the router is connected.

The router is a VPN router. What does VPN mean anyway? Should I filter anything? I checked the log just now and it has tons of incoming requests to tons of ports. Basically it goes down several times a day, while the cable modem connection is actually still on.

Shouldi try disabling the DHCP server, and just enter the IPs manually in each PC? I Guess ill try this tomorrow.

Also, i just enabled Block Anonymous WAN requests as that was off; dont know if this will help or not.

Filter MUlticast is enabled.

What is VPN passthrough, everything there is enabled.

Also what is QoS? Nothing enabled there ...

UPnP is disabled.

DHCP Client Lease is 0.

PCs are 2 windows ME and 2 Windows XP. Should I try putting the 2 ME machines on a Hub I have here and leaving the XP on the router, will that help?

Also, firmware is from 2003, do yah think there is an upgrade? It was purchased brand new just this month.

any ideas? She's getting ready to go back to the hub setup but id rather not ..i checked with Cable and they say it is only 1 DHCP Ip and the basic package now, so that end should be okay.

thanks

Rory

I would look for a firmware update on the linksys site. That could fix the problem you are having. Also you could look through the knowledge base for similar issues. If that didn't fix it I would try a different router.

VPN is Virtual Private Network. Basically a very secure point to point connection. And googling "port 32611" looks like it has to do with VPN.

yeah, I did the firmware upgrade this morning while posting the previous message, going to see what is happening with it now.

thanks

Rory

no they just use the web for browsing and email, nothing else ...

anyway, will see what happens .. will see if the firmware upgrade helps if not Ill take off DHCP and enter the IPS manually, then if it still does it Ill just put one computer on it by itself and make sure that computer is working okay ...if it is not then I know its the Modem/Cable, if it is, darn ill go back to the router and double monthly price for now ..got too much else on my plate this week!

Rory