With the installation I am now envolved in, my customer is looking to record audio within a small office area that will also be covered by a camera. In the past, my distributor catalogs used to have several cameras that had built in mic's for audio but in recent years, can find almost none. In this application, it might be better to have the mic that would be recording audio at a different location from the camera location anyway. I have thought of utilizing an omnidirectional conference microphone to feed the audio input of the DVR. Any suggestions as to what would work best ?? I also understand there are reasons that many manufacturers have stopped building cameras with built in mics for audio. Are there legalities that I should be concerned with ?

Thanks

It is illegal to record anyones conversation, expecially thru cameras, without their consent. I stay away from it, knowing a installer that got in serious problems for installing a audio camera that was being used in a grocery store. 1 year jail time, plus a VERY hefty fine.

If I was you, I'll stay away from it.

read it yourself from the library of congress website:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/T?&report=hr162&dbname=cp105&

depends where you are located. I always add Louroe Microphones when the client wants audio. Ofcourse here we have no laws in respect to that.

Rory