blowrabbit

general question regarding rf and rca routes

I need to know if you can rout a signal from a dvd player's line out [rca connectors to a line in [rca connectors] on a vcr and then out finally through the vcrs coax [out to tv] to view either whats playing on the vcr or what is going through the vcr from the dvd player?

Hey blowrabbit! Are you surviving your weather issues (Jan 8, 09). Ton of snow, and now warm temps, and a ton of rain on top of all of that melted snow. Yikes!

You know this technology! You are just baiting me right?

Ok! I'll take the bait! Here goes:

Yes you should be able to do this.

The VCR will act as your "video switcher".

For others reading this post you will have to test the VCR first.

Press the A/V button to see if it switches between the VCR video, and Input video. If you do not have this button then look for this:

Press the channel down selector. When you get to channel 2, and you go down one channel more then it may switch to video input. If the VCR does not do this then:

You need the remote control that came with the VCR. It will have some button such as A/V, or Source, or Input.

If you ever buy a VCR at a thrift store, or a pawn shop the first thing you want to do is this test. It is nice to know that you need a remote control before you buy it, take it home, and then have to return it.

If the VCR does not have it's original remote control then do not buy it unless you do not care about the video input.

Another test is to pull the plug while you have input video. Some VCRs will maintain the video input, and others will default back to VCR video, and you have to manually change it back everytime the power goes out.

Make sure it is a 4 head VCR. If you have two VCRs side by side for the same price then go for the 4 head unit.

VCR shops are hard to find. If you can find one then go ahead and pay to have it serviced.

Older VCR will have a film that attaches to the head as the tape goes by. The longer between service then the more film will build up. VCRs by design will only eat important video tapes. It will run perfectly until you stick your wife's wedding video, or some other unretrievable video in to the slot. Beware! Have it service now so that you do not have to worry about it. If the head is damaged then you can still take it back, and get another one.

Another troubleshooting problem. You get a VCR that runs great! The head is actually out of alignment. All this time you have been making video tapes. Now all of a sudden you need service, and the tech guy correctly aligns you head back to specs.

When you watch your prerecorded tapes with the newly aligned head you may not be able to watch those tapes. The tapes were recorded with the head askew, and now it does not line up with the head. Yikes!

Ever heard of Nachamichi? They became famous by having a "computer" chip look for tapes with miss aligned recordings, and then a servo would move the head to simulate the head position from the faulty head during the recording session.

This was a major problem during the "Hey Days" of VCR movies.

You would get those knock off movies, or independant movies, or ones that had been at the rental place for a long period of time that would just not play nice with a VCR.

Nachamichi stood the world on its head with their servo technology!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamichi

I'm babbling, and going off topic aren't I? I'll shut up now! LOL!

Yes, you can. The VCR's modulator will output on channel 3 or 4. However, the better option would be if the TV had a Video input. The picture quality would be much better

Older VCR will have a film that attaches to the head as the tape goes by. The longer between service then the more film will build up. VCRs by design will only eat important video tapes. It will run perfectly until you stick your wife's wedding video, or some other unretrievable video in to the slot. Beware! Have it service now so that you do not have to worry about it. If the head is damaged then you can still take it back, and get another one.

funny lol

Another troubleshooting problem. You get a VCR that runs great! The head is actually out of alignment. All this time you have been making video tapes. Now all of a sudden you need service, and the tech guy correctly aligns you head back to specs.

DONT mess with the head drum yourself if you ever think there is a need...its supposed to be tilted! As scorpion said, let the tech do it. This was a big problem when VCR's were still popular. People would bring in their vcrs and tell me they had tried to fix it themselves thinking it was broken because the head drum was tilted . I'd suggest, at the most, just general cleaning, though you have to be careful you dont damage heads.

Just plug your VCR directly into your computer with (almost) any available USB adapter, and align the heads using VLC.

So realigning the head with a rubber hammer is a no no??
If you're talking about fixing the alignment of the heads with a rubber hammer...yeah big no no. Those should only be aligned by the guides or electronically. I wouldn't attempt to use a malet to realign the head drum personally...but I suppose it would work. If you've got to take a malet to it I'd suggest replacing it and possibly the entire assembly.

Just plug your VCR directly into your computer with (almost) any available USB adapter, and align the heads using VLC.