aoshifiber

fiber optic transceiver discussion - about future trends

I'm from a fiber optic transceiver manufacturer and responsible for outside China market, but as i know a lot of surveillance project abroad, they do not use fiber transmission, mostly they can choose COAX, CAT5/6, or wireless solution.

But here in China, nearly all the important video surveillance projects use fiber transmission, so i want to know is this the realy difference between China and other countries? How about the ITS system, freeway surveillane, and bank security surveillance system outside China?

and also, will wireless or IP become the future's solution for video transmission? thanks.

we had installed ONV fiber transmitters and receivers with PTZ. cable length is 10 kms , SM

is there a possibility that video is shown but data does not works?? as we are facing this issue. At the time of installation , the system was perfectly running but on an average every 3 months one camera stops moving (Video is still displayed clearly)

you can try to change an other pair of transceivers, to see if it can works with data, i think it's the problem of transmitter or receiver

we had installed ONV fiber transmitters and receivers with PTZ. cable length is 10 kms , SM

is there a possibility that video is shown but data does not works?? as we are facing this issue. At the time of installation , the system was perfectly running but on an average every 3 months one camera stops moving (Video is still displayed clearly)

pls check my post in your thread.

should check the fiber optical loss first, since video could be display but not data,the problem is not possiable on fiber Tx/Rx....

already done that but in vain.

maybe it's just because the camera's ptz was broken?

it might be, but 7 out of 10 cameras' ptz were broken? I prefer the fiber's story...

besides, it is a FAQ on fiber's issue such as this situation, isn't it?

Locally Each PTZ are working fine (tested with Keyboard)

that's right, as i mentioned, it is not possiable that 7 cameras out of work because of the PTZ.

firstly,check the optical loss, for years of fiber laying, or after soldering over and over, the loss will be enlarged over the budget.

Hi Gents,

A classic issue with fault finding fibre transmission is as discussed in another thread, Macrobending in SM transmission.

Look at your wavelength/s of your converter. Check to see if the wavelength being attenuated out is at 1550nm. If so, what you are most likely experiencing is macrobending. A fibre cable kink in an underground joint or splice tray for example will show minimal loss at 1310nm (normally video wavelength) and huge loss at 1550nm (sometimes your PTZ data)

This is known as macrobending. It is caused by over-bending on the fibre cable, and is always detected as high loss at 1550nm. (A macrobend is a lot of times a less than 60mm diameter bend in the cable, so look at fibre trays on either end in case someone has just crammed the tails in)

To test, get a light source/power meter (or an OTDR) that can measure at 1310nm and 1550nm and measure the whole fibre at both wavelengths. If it is macrobending (common) you will see a huge loss at 1550nm.

If you use an OTDR, it will give you the distance to fault, aka: the pressure point, or macrobend.

I have experienced the same problem!!!!

Conecting the PTZ video camera through 2 transceivers the video works but the ptz does not.

We changed the fiber and.... it works. But the interesting thing is that there are not any other connections in the fiber. There ar just the 2 pigtails (connected by fusion).

The funny thing is that the video is shown properly, but the ptz not, and it is not a bending issue, we have taking out the fiber (it is just 300 meters) and it neither works with the fiber in perfect conditions....

Any idea about why this is happening? Both fiber cables (working and not working) are from the same supplier and same reference...

I never seen something similar to these!!!!

Regards

Are you sending the serial data for the PTZ over the fiber? or is it IP traffic? I know there is a lot of costs but can you send the video over one set of transcievers and the data over another set. that sshould not be required but just a thought. ALso when we install fiber we usually leave several unterminated fibers for expansion. Usually install 12 strand and only terminate 4-6 fibers.

is serial data through f.o.

there are 4 fibers in each cable.

The roll that works, 4 fibers works fine, the roll that dont works, 4 fibers dont work!!!!

Incredible...

Jaime