mikex79

8 channel DVR - how does it work ? ? ?

hi everybody,I just wonder how does the 8 channel dvr/ splitter work, does it split a screen to 8 viewing areas (like 9ch and 16ch do) or split it to 4 and then another 4 comes sequently after preser time? please help as i'm considering buying one for my 7 cameras cctv system.

thanks

Most of what I've seen give you various viewing options:-

1, 4 & 9 splits.

What Brand and Model do you plan on getting, with this info you may be able to get a more definite answer.

at the moment just general question as i am curious about 8ch one how it operates, have you seen any ???

What do you mean by "have I seen any"

On my PC Based System I'm able to do 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 & 9 Screen splits.

On one of my standalone Systems I'm able to do 1, 4, 7 & 9.

I have seen others that will only do 1, 4 & 8.

thanks but i still do not know howw it works, i am looking for the information in which way it splits the screen (8ch one) does it split a screen to 8 viewing areas 2x4 or maybe splits to 9 viewing areas but use 8 only??? this is my question, many thanks

thanks but i still do not know howw it works, i am looking for the information in which way it splits the screen (8ch one) does it split a screen to 8 viewing areas 2x4 or maybe splits to 9 viewing areas but use 8 only??? this is my question, many thanks

They all give you a 9 way split with 8 viewing. 9th left blank.

my 8 channel dvr has many viewing options.

6 (one big and 5 smaller ones around the big one)

9 (3x3, but the 9th one is blank)

and i think a few others, although, im not at home and cant check for sure.

but your 7 cameras would work just fine

An 8 channel DVR will show all 8 channels in a multiplexed screen. It will use a 9 box. The 9th box might have the date time group in it, or it may have something else.

What you are describing sounds like some of those 8 channel multiplexors.

You can see a quad screen of cams 1 - 4, and then you press a page button then you see a quad of cams 5 - 8.

There may be some DVRs that operate like that, but I have not seen one.

For the majority of the DVRs that you look at you should be ok, and you will see all 8 in a multiplex.

What you should be asking is "when I watch past history how many channels will I be able to see at once"?

Some of the higher end DVRs with H.264 may only show two cameras during playback. You can toggle the camera buttons to see the other cameras.

That may be a more important question to ask when you demo a DVR.