smokingjoe

Time-lapse recorder/multiplexer problem

Hi guys, need help with a TLC 2100 Time-lapse recorder with a SMV116 Robot multiplexer.

This system belongs to a small business in the rural area where I live.

The first problem is, when we watch the recorded tape in the time-lapse recorder it switches from screen to screen so fast that we can't see anything.

It is a 16 channel simplex multiplexer and they are using 9 cameras. We are using a T120 tape. When we are recording we have the time set to 120. When we review the tape we set the speed down to 02. The owner tells me that these are the same settings that they have been using for years.

If I change the speed to 48 when we are reveiwing the tape, which slows the channel switching down, it will displays each camera screen but seems to be picking up some type of noise or something, There are scrambled lines at the top of the screen. The owner says this is not normal.

My second problem is, we are not able to stay on one screen to watch for any period of time. It just keeps switching from camera to camera.

From my understanding, over the past few weeks, a few of the guys that work there have changed the settings and moved some of the cables around to try to fix this problem. So I am not sure if the settings or cables are where they should be.

This business is thinking about up dating with a new DVR to put in a concealed location but would like to get this recorder working to use it as a decoy or dummy.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem might be.

Thanks Smokingjoe

Sounds like you're trying to view the VCR output directly... make sure it's properly connected to the VCR jacks on the MUX. If it's been recording while improperly hooked up, you likely won't be able to view that footage.

Some MUXs also have a setting for the specific VCR you're using; if memory serves, this should include ROBOTs. Check the settings for something like that.

Try cleaning the video heads and tape path. It sounds like either dirty or worn out video heads or tape guides.

Time-lapse VCR's are very sensitive about mis-tracking and poor signal quality. They need strong sync with no noise in the vertical blanking interval to lock onto the correct channel.

Thanks for the info guys but still having a problem.

I cleaned the heads and swapped the cables around, but had no luck.

I did notice one thing. Not sure if it is normal of not. There is a VCR VIEW button on this multiplier. When I push this button I get the same type of video as I do from watching a taped video. The screen flips from camera to camera much faster than I think it should. Would any one have any idea where I might get a manual for the smv116 multiplexer?

Thanks again Smokingjoe

Sorry about the multiplexer spelling in my last reply. It is getting late!

I am only using one monitor so would anyone know where the cable from the video out port on the back of this monitor should go? It was connected to the VCR recorder "IN" port when I picked this system up.

Sorry about the multiplexer spelling in my last reply. It is getting late!

I am only using one monitor so would anyone know where the cable from the video out port on the back of this monitor should go? It was connected to the VCR recorder "IN" port when I picked this system up.

Umm... I'd say that's the start of your problem right there.

I found a picture of that MUX - you should find it has four connectors beside the camera loops:

a MAIN MON that goes to the monitor's input;

a VCR OUT that connects to the IN jack on the VCR

a VCR IN that connects to the OUT jack on the VCR

and a CALL MON that's used for a secondary monitor

(this is pretty much universal to all multiplexors, BTW, although some will have slightly different labels).

The proper VCR connections are crucial: because since the VCR can only record one video signal, the MUX has to take all the cameras and generate an output for the VCR that basically consists of - wait for it - flipping quickly from one camera to the next, a view you're probably familiar with by now

When you playback the VCR, the MUX then has to take those flipping pictures and replay them properly depending on the view you select - split-screen, single-screen, etc.

When you go to playback, you'll want to hit the TAPE PLAY button (in the MODE box) - it will give you a flipping image as well until the tape actually starts playing.

Again, you DO NOT connect the monitor and VCR directly together - the MUX has to do the job of creating the proper video stream for the VCR, and then of "descrambling" it again to send to the monitor.

And as I said before, there's a chance that you won't be able to view anything recorded before... so be ready for that to NOT work once you hook everything up properly. The "acid test" will be to record some footage once the connections are right, and then play that back, and see if it works.

Don't trust any existing connections - just unplug everything and start clean

Thanks, I will give it a shot. By the way, where did you find a picture of this MUX? I have been searching for something like that myself.

Problem fixed. Did a hard reset on the MUX and Re-routed cables.

Not sure which was the problem. Probably cables.

Thanks for the help.