Noddy

Switch system from Geovison to Avermeida ?

At the moment for a home system I have a GV-800 4 with four analog cameras and I was looking to add 2 Axis IP cameras for a total of 6 cameras. After some research I thought I could just buy the Geovision NVR 2 cam license and add the cams for a total of 6 cameras. After some confusion It seems that if I buy the Geovision Hybrid NVR key for approx. $250 I can view and add the two IP cameras to my existing setup. This seems an expensive route just for a home system and I really don’t used a fraction of the Geovision features.

Would I be crazy to buy a AverMeida NV5000 and sell the GV 800 on ebay ? I have had no experience with AverMeida but it seems a lot easier to expand the system.

Thanks in advance for reading

I don't think you'd be crazy. You're right, Geovision cards are great for PC setups, but unless you've setup a full access control system in your house and thrown in a cash register for good measure, it's a little overkill.

The NV5000 would work nicely with that setup, as they've been continually adding to their list of supported IP cameras. Keep in mind though that you'll need to get a 4-port extension with the Avermedia in order to use those other two cameras. Even though they're not directly connected to a video input, the card will only accept 4 channels without it. But that's a $30 upgrade instead of $250.

You'll probably end up losing a little bit after selling the used card, the trade off being an easier to use system. I say go for it.