Cat-Camera-Man

FPS dropped with new camera

Hi,

I have had a GV800-4, 120Fps card in use almost two years now. Three cameras are Black and white and one is color. When viewing any one camera I can get 27 to 28 Fps over the internet. I recently changed one of the black and white cameras to color. The orginal B and W and the orginal color still give out 27 to 28 Fps. But the new color will only reach 6 Fps max. Most of the time it is 4 to 5Fps. I do not understand what could be wrong? Is there such a "thing" as a "slow" camera? The picture sure is good for a cheap color camera. Any ideas? Thanks

R.T.

I am not sure, but my first guess would be that a color camera would have more pixels changing infromation more often and therefore produce more data and then again need more bandwith, can you also check that you have the same resolution on all cameras etc, to make sure that they have identical settings.

JD

Hi,

I have had a GV800-4, 120Fps card in use almost two years now. Three cameras are Black and white and one is color. When viewing any one camera I can get 27 to 28 Fps over the internet. I recently changed one of the black and white cameras to color. The orginal B and W and the orginal color still give out 27 to 28 Fps. But the new color will only reach 6 Fps max. Most of the time it is 4 to 5Fps. I do not understand what could be wrong? Is there such a "thing" as a "slow" camera? The picture sure is good for a cheap color camera. Any ideas? Thanks

R.T.

JD,

An interesting idea. But settings are the same and, as stated, the other color camera runs 26 to 28 Fps. It does give me an idea of swapping the connections on the two color cams and see what happens. If the drop is the same, it may be a "Fps hogging camera." I will check settings again today and let you know.

Thanks for your answer.

R.T.

To me it seems as there is a setting either in the camera (does it have full rate into the DVR?) or a server setting that reduces remote fps to save bandwidth. Since it has been working with the other colorcamera and with the B/W camera it seems as it is the camera that doesn't deliver full frame rate. Maybe some MJPEG/MPEG4 setting?

Ted,

Well I changed the two camera inputs to the card and have the same problem. The camera does not have any adjustments on it.

You mentioned the camera may not deliver full frame rate. Is there any way to "check" that without a ton of special test equipement? Since all the settings in the Geo software are the same, it still looks like I have a cheap, "slow" camera. Possible?

R.T.

Hi!

Are we talking about a IP camera?

JD

Ted,

Well I changed the two camera inputs to the card and have the same problem. The camera does not have any adjustments on it.

You mentioned the camera may not deliver full frame rate. Is there any way to "check" that without a ton of special test equipement? Since all the settings in the Geo software are the same, it still looks like I have a cheap, "slow" camera. Possible?

R.T.

Ted,

R.T.

In some cameras you can adjust several settings with either dip-switches or by connecting it to a PC. I don't know if the frame rate is one of those settings. Does it appear the same when you watch it on site?

Well, I used a new, more expensive, customer's camera for a test, and this one worked just fine. 22 to 25 FPs. So it must be the cheap camera that hogs the FPS.

Maybe a good reason to purchase better quality cameras. I would consider this problem closed. Thanks for all comments.

R.T.

Hello

I have a similar problem,

I have a GV-800 D-type (16 inputs), but actually I had connected just 4 cameras, but the quality image is quite poor, I am not able to get high fps, I had changed positions in inputs videos, codec recording, etc

I have the same resolution than my old pico2000,

How can I know the number o fps that is recording each camera?

can anybody held me?