volatileacid

Help! Samsung SHR-5042 or Sanyo DSR-2004 (updated with pic)

They seem very similar. What would you recommend? I have a 4 channel system? I take it they both record at D1 (i.e. 720x576) - that's what I'd ideally like - all 4 channels at D1 resolution even if that means I only get a few hours at a time? The budget is about £500. Or do you recommend an alternative solution? I've attached screen shots of the specs below. Cheers.

Sanyo.JPG.f29b5d8ce8c5c7a29ce17cc24d1de69c.JPG

samsung.thumb.JPG.2f706829ae5101c93ecbb9330a847168.JPG

Edited by Guest

Doesn't look like we have many experts on this part of the forum!.... What a waste of time

Anyway, found the answer. After further research, they both do the same thing. Record 1 channel @ Full D1, but in quad record mode - recording occurs at CIF which is 360 x 288 (PAL).

I guess quad, or 8 channel or even higher recording from a DVR at Full D1 costs a lot of money. Multiple streams at high resolution really must require some serious processing power, and fast multiple disks.

looks to me like your are very impatient and most likely used to getting your way/answer now. and, you need to appreciate that the "experts" on this forum have jobs and families and if you can't wait more than 24 hours for an answer.........................

hey, I have to go light the grill.................see ya!

Well thanks for the reprimand! Perhaps it would have also been nice if you could have given some advice too as to which brand I should have gone with - but better I be impatient than unhelpful!

Both specs look very similar... and both are great companies... however, what sets them apart is their support and I strongly will recommend the Sanyo model. It is not that it is better performer than Samsong (we worked with both). Rather, when and not if any problems occur with this equipment, Sanyo shines much brighter...

But then again, since Panasonic bought Sanyo in the recent months, all that can change, as Panasonic is not known for their support. They also make great product lineup, but from the past experience, they provide substandard service on their warranty and non-warranty repairs.

The best in the market from service and support stand point are Bosch and Mitsubishi. In case of Bosch, once they determine what the problem is, you will have the replacement at your door step within 48 hours and they have exceptional technical support. As for Mitsubishi, it is the same with a twist - they provide the best warranty in the market - five year on all their DVR recorders.

So, which is better? It is hard to tell.. but I know this - you always get what you pay for!

Just a market side note: CCTV_Suppliers mentioned:"since Panasonic bought Sanyo in the recent months" - Panasonic snatching Sanyo was not driven by its CCTV or traditional product lines, its really all about the solar panel products and battery markets. Interesting strategy fueled by the current rise in R&D related to energy products with hybrid and all electric cars. The combined Panasonic polymer electrolyte fuel cell cogeneration systems developed for energy efficient homes and general construction along with with Sanyos exisiting HIT solar cell production will put Panasonic in a strong global position into that market. (Sanyo is the world's seventh largest producer of solar cells.) Will be interesting to see how these combined technologies integrate with future security produts.

Cool off everyone... this could be you in some different topic in the future for a product that you really must have answers urgently... I know that I did have such a request before and in few days Rory responded... as it was a very specific product question that most members were not familiar with... (Rory, always thanks for your assistance man...)

volatileacid, patients is a virtue bud.. most members here do not have that much time to visit this forum and answer every single question. Being polite does help, but sometimes frustration on finding an answer can get you in this loop... I do not think his behavior should constitute anything negative... rather someone who needs the info, may be because of urgency of a project...

Don't tell me that this did not happen to other members...

volatileacid, did you have your question answered? If not, what do you really need? Members here share their experiences with these and as well as other products and it is not unusual to have disagreements and everything is based on respective member's knowledge and experience with such products.

It is this forum's moderators decision if someone stays or gets banned... and I respect that. However, just because someone needs info urgently should not be construed as a bad thing... The worst happens is that the question never gets answered and the member never comes back to this forum... and I do not think that the moderators or the admin really want this...

At least my two cents of the day...

volatileacid, did you have your question answered? If not, what do you really need? Members here share their experiences with these and as well as other products and it is not unusual to have disagreements and everything is based on respective member's knowledge and experience with such products.

You've been a great help. Cheers mate. I went for the Samsung in the end (having second thoughts lol), but it's on the way now...

What swung the decision for me was:

a) The samsung comes with a CD-ROM drive for backup

and

b) As I understand it - the remote viewing software is free - whereas with the Sanyo - You've gotta pay $$$ extra!!?

If it wasn't for those two points, I would have gone for the Sanyo - just due to brand presence etc - however, you did say both were similar performers and decent companies - so I guess the Samsung model can't be that much worse. I just hope it 'does what it says on the tin' without giving me too much hassle!

So thanks for your help mate, you're a top man, I appreciate it.

ps. I needed a replacement camera too, and went for a now discontinued Sanyo VCC-ZM400P zoom camera which I picked up for £100 ($133 USD - wow the £ has taken a hammering!) - hope I didn't get a bum deal! The ZM400P is succeeded by the VCC-ZM600P but at £467 (652USD) that was a tad too expensive to even consider!

I am glad it worked... and please find some additional answers...

You've been a great help. Cheers mate. I went for the Samsung in the end (having second thoughts lol), but it's on the way now...

What swung the decision for me was:

a) The samsung comes with a CD-ROM drive for backup

If for backup reasons this was important, then you made the right choice... I like to perform my backups on a different computer locally, so that I will not be restricted on limited space CD or DVD media provides...

and

b) As I understand it - the remote viewing software is free - whereas with the Sanyo - You've gotta pay $$$ extra!!?

This is not accurate - yes, you may purchase "special" remote client software, but it is for enterprise version (multiple systems at different locations) and will not be recommended. You can connect to these and most of Sanyo DVRs with Microsoft IE and it works just fine and performs well - no additional cost.

If it wasn't for those two points, I would have gone for the Sanyo - just due to brand presence etc - however, you did say both were similar performers and decent companies - so I guess the Samsung model can't be that much worse. I just hope it 'does what it says on the tin' without giving me too much hassle!

Both are find machines and what is important is to evaluate cost vs. what you want and if Samsung made sense, then that is the right solution for you.

So thanks for your help mate, you're a top man, I appreciate it.

ps. I needed a replacement camera too, and went for a now discontinued Sanyo VCC-ZM400P zoom camera which I picked up for £100 ($133 USD - wow the £ has taken a hammering!) - hope I didn't get a bum deal!

You must of gotten this either in ebay or may have been used.. this model was more expensive than $133... so, the price is fairly cheap and as long as it works, then it is a great deal.

The ZM400P is succeeded by the VCC-ZM600P but at £467 (652USD) that was a tad too expensive to even consider!

If you must have zoom feature that this type of products offer, then it is cheaper than most zoom or ptz version cameras or minidomes. I am sure with some persistency, you probably can find another VCC-ZM400..