smokingjoe

Why RG59 cable over RG6

Hi everyone, this maybe a stupid question but could someone tell me why

the RG59 cable is recommed over the RG6 cable for CCTV. Very few of the electrial suppliers, in the rural area where I live, carry the RG59 cable.

RG-6 is more expensive than RG-59. It can transport video for longer distances, though.

Watch out what type of cable you are buying. Make sure you are getting CCTV-rated cable, not CATV-rated. The differences are that CCTV-rated cable has a 100% solid copper center conductor, not copper-clad steel and it also has a 100% woven copper shield (tinned or untinned with/without foil) versus CATV's aluminum or steel strand and foil shield.

If the suppliers you are checking only carry RG-6, most likely it is CATV-rated, not CCTV-rated. Most suppliers of CCTV-rated cable sell more RG-59 than RG-6 due to the cost premium.

Would 95% copper braid shield be close enought or does it have to be 100%?

I found a 1000 ft roll of RG59, 20awg, Solid Bare Copper, 95% Copper Braid, 75C (UL) CMR/CATVR, Commodity Cable.

If I understand this right, these specifications tell me this is for CATV, but by having a 20agw, Solid Bare Copper conductor and 95% Copper Braid shield, it seams like this would be a good cable for CCTV.

smokingjoe where did you find cable? looking for a spool of 1000 ft of uv black. wanted to get a base price that most people are buying. Is the white version of the rg59 not uv protected? thanks.

also if anyone is deciding on using rg59 over cat5 for analog cams. I heard that most passive baluns in conjunction with the cat5 go bad and installers should stick to using rg59 cable. Is this a fact?

See my answer to your other post. Passive baluns will probably outlive you unless exposed to the elements. Coax connectors would also corrode with the same exposure so if you take care to keep them dry, each should last a long time.

Just one other note: the main PHYSICAL difference between RG-59 and RG-6 is the size (thickness) of the center dielectric - it's larger with RG-6, in most cases requiring a different connector than RG-59. This is true for most crimp-on connectors (including compression-fit types), and since the overall cable diameter is correspondingly larger as well, will also affect most twist-on designs.

Hi -- I found a good price for siamese cable, but is it doable for CCTV? Here is the description:

High Performance Siamese Cable RG59 Coaxial (95%) Braided + 18/2 18 AWG copper inner conductor 128 wires 95% copper shield Copper power cord CM/CL2 rated PVC jacket Swept Tested 5-3000Mhz Sequential foot/ Zone marking UL Listed FT-4 Color: Black Length: 1000 ft Package Type: Spool

PM me if you want to compare prices.. I've been looking around and finally found a decent price + they are well known/reliable. Hopefully this cable works. Let me know.. thanks!

Hi -- I found a good price for siamese cable, but is it doable for CCTV? Here is the description:

High Performance Siamese Cable RG59 Coaxial (95%) Braided + 18/2 18 AWG copper inner conductor 128 wires 95% copper shield Copper power cord CM/CL2 rated PVC jacket Swept Tested 5-3000Mhz Sequential foot/ Zone marking UL Listed FT-4 Color: Black Length: 1000 ft Package Type: Spool

PM me if you want to compare prices.. I've been looking around and finally found a decent price + they are well known/reliable. Hopefully this cable works. Let me know.. thanks!

Can someone tell me if this wire is any good to use for CCTV?