felixkat

DVR decision (or maybe PC based)

Firstly hello to everybody, newbie here.

I'm in the UK and it's 04:20, I've been reading this forums for a few hours amongst a couple of other sites and ebay searches !!!!

The knowledge on this site is fantastic however it's made me really cautious on what system to buy.

Basically I need a 4 channel DVR or PCI card. I will have three outdoor cameras and optionally have 1 indoor camera.

This is for a house setup, the three outside are for security and the indoor one, (as an idea), maybe used for a baby monitor.

So remote viewing is essential for the indoor camera. This is for viewing from a laptop or picture in picture on the TV. Please don't think we need it to leave the baby unattended whilst we're down the pub!!

I would rather have motion detection for the outdoor cameras to save on disk space, (although not essential). Also a masking facility for the motion detection to stop trees in the wind activating the recording.

Now I understand quality is only going to be as good as the weakest link but my main requirement here is the DVR. I have cameras and although not perfect they can be easily upgraded once all the cables are in place.

The resolution \ compression is what I need to decide on. I seen mention of dual codec devices to benefit recording & streaming, and a list of different opinions on preferences of codecs. I guess it depends on the make, model and variant of codecs used but I haven't seen any personally to make that decision.

It's doubtful that there would be a scenario where all 4 cameras would need to be recorded at once. What I haven't been able to work out if there's such a system that records only the channel that has movement and will increase the recording channels where necessary. For example, movement is detected on camera 1 so the DVR starts recording on camera 1. Movement is then detected on channel 2 so the DVR starts recording from camera 1 & 2. I'm hoping this would allow better quality captures as the DVR would only be recording from one channel, (most of the time), so can use it's processing power to record bigger, (or better), resolution.

The final confusion is all the rebranded products. I was looking at the avtech 760 as it seems a good price, I don't think I need the USB functions of the 761 or CD burning of other models. I have seen other 760 models with different names and I'm guessing they are rebranded models.

I honour the forum rules so I won't discuss prices directly but I'm seeing what basically seems like the same models, (and HD sizes), but huge price differences. Are the cheaper ones fake or are the expensive ones huge mark ups in price?

I don't want to spend a fortune but as per my above comment I don't know if the more you spend the better you get applies. My very very max is £300, (UK), but I would prefer to be under the £200 limit.

If I were to go the PC card route then a dedicated PC would be built using Windows or Linux. There would be no antivirus, firewalls or anything else installed on it as it will be built for one purpose.

I always research anything electrical I buy as I don't like to be disappointed and wishing I bought something else. Believe me my girlfriend hates it, we've been trying to buy a new TV for 18months but I keep changing my mind.

Any advice is welcomed, I do have a good understanding but IT is strictly my field so I'm out of my depth here.

Finding something in your price range as well as having those requirements is easy. I would go the standalone DVR route since you dont have a pc already and would need to incur that cost on top of the card and would only be using the pc for the surveillance system. A decent card will cost you $400US (you have to convert that ) and the pc well you know the prices of those over there better than I would.

Anyway for the DVR my unbiased opinion would be for Intellicams LTA-RT4, it is very easy to use and has all (and then some) of the options that you are looking for. It even comes with a 4yr warranty on the DVR and the 250GB hard drive that comes with it!! Again, I am not a reseller nor do I work for them, I just like giving credit where its due. You can actually buy it from them (although there not the cheapest) or if you do some searching on that model number or a variant of it (some places change it a little) like SV-RT4. The cheapest RETAIL price I could find was $369US I dont know what kind of shipping it would cost to send it over there but I imagine you may be able to find these units there as well. They come out of Korea (I think). I have personally owned several DVR's from them and find them to be a great bargain for the money. Heres a link to the spec sheet on it http://www.shoreviewsecurity.com/LTA-RT4[1].pdf I dont know the main manufacturer of this unit so I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting the link and the price I listed is retail, anyway if so I will pm you this info as well, dont want to ruffle any feathers

Hope I have helped you out and good luck.