Has anyone used the Bosch "Video Management System" with about 16 to 32 cams.

How hard is it on the CPU etc.

Going to be configured as a NVR and hopefully displaying 4-8 screens live from same server..

Current specs I'm looking at is, 3Ghz Quad core, 1 gig ram, 1 os drive, 2 recording drives, Server board comes with 4 onboard GIG nics..

Has anyone used the Bosch "Video Management System" with about 16 to 32 cams.

How hard is it on the CPU etc.

Going to be configured as a NVR and hopefully displaying 4-8 screens live from same server..

Current specs I'm looking at is, 3Ghz Quad core, 1 gig ram, 1 os drive, 2 recording drives, Server board comes with 4 onboard GIG nics..

This Bosch solution will work well with your specs.. It defenately pushes your proc to its limits, but your quad core will manage it just fine. Make sure that you have at least 4GB of RAM (for XP anything higher does not really matter anyway and do not go cheap on the RAM stick - get the best RAM you can find for the money).

Dependent how you will stream you video and what FPS setting, you can have some excellent video.. Just make sure you are not processing and storing video at its full 30FPS.. you will observe serious bottleneck with your network, unless you install fiber channel based network infrastructure.

Also, dependent what you need for number of days of recording, Bosch provides well documented calculator allowing you to spec enough storage to cover number of days of your needed recording.

It is easy to install and comes with many features that are very powerful and yet easy to implement. My favorites are the instant playback and the zoom capabilities... and depending the resolution on how you setup your recording, you can have some unbelievable zoom on video with minimal pixelazation... Exporting the content to different media and playing on different video players is yet another strong features that we like.

All in all, it is a great platform... just make sure your hardware is expandable as your needs for performance and storage will increase over time...

What does Bosch typically get per camera for their VMS software? I'm torn between a true NVR, and a hybrid DVR with an encoder card.

I have an Axis 241q, and could easily pick up another for my remaining four cameras, then add IP cameras as I go... or I could get an 8-port encoder card (like the Nuuo model) and add IP cameras to that.

Decisions, decisions...

This Bosch solution will work well with your specs..

Thanks I should have mentioned that I am only looking at 2cif/12fps for most cameras, and perhaps 2-3 at 4Cif/24fps. Specified at 7 days recording but the server I'm designing has room for up to 8 hotswap drives.

Network consists of one specified 100mb 48 port Cisco 3560 switch and Ive added a SFP gig uplink for the server. (Estimating about 15000 Kbit/s data rate)

Sawbones:

Pricing varies on how many cameras, workstations, DVR's, NVRS, IP decoder to analogue units required.

However for my option 32 camera lite edition worked out at about $125 Australian per cam. (plus server)

The non lite edition works out a lot more expensive but is a lot more expandable.