blake

Tools needed to get started

How hard was it to put in that Ademco 20p? I bought one with all the parts a year or so ago and it seemed complicated. Its been sitting on the floor all still in the box in my study.

simple .. childs play .. ive installed hundreds of them over the years.

and i never even use a full english keypad. i program 50's with fixed kps, wireless and all. alarms are just simple all around anyway.

Ademco made things real easy with the Vista platform.I really like the confirm by activation feature.When you're adding a wireless sensor,you select zone number,type,name, cause it to trip and it enrolls itself.

Edited by Guest

That is so true Tailbone.I struggled understanding about running wires on a home that had no attic and basement.I'm just starting to learn some of you pros secrets.I wish there where more how-to videos,but i guess i can donate my free time to learning from a pro.

Unfortunately there really aren't any "How-To" videos out there as each job has its own unique challenges. You simply learn by doing on the job. Some people have a natural knack for doing while others don't. Rough-ins are gravy work while old construction takes a certain talent to get them right and leave no trace. Never learn from a CATV installer as most are hacks and butchers.

So how do you run a four camera cctv with a camera on each corner of the house on a two story house with the cameras on the first level with no soffit,attic or basement?

So how do you run a four camera cctv with a camera on each corner of the house on a two story house with the cameras on the first level with no soffit,attic or basement?

Siding or masonry?

Siding.

Cool! Unzip the siding where you want to come through from the inside. Drill hole and run wire horizontal till you hit the corner post/channel and go vertical. All wire is tucked and invisible. Vinyl siding is insanely easy while aluminium takes a bit more care as to not damage the locking bead.

Edited by Guest

Siding.

Cool! Unzip the siding where you want to come through from the inside. Drill hole and run horizontal till you hit the corner post.channel and go vertical. All wire is tucked and invisible. Vinyl siding is insanely easy while aluminium takes a bit more care as to not damage the locking bead.

Man i need to see this in person .

Siding.

Cool! Unzip the siding where you want to come through from the inside. Drill hole and run horizontal till you hit the corner post.channel and go vertical. All wire is tucked and invisible. Vinyl siding is insanely easy while aluminium takes a bit more care as to not damage the locking bead.

Man i need to see this in person .

That's just it, when it is done you won't see it.

When you say drill a hole and run horizontal,are you meaning drill a hole thru the plywood and run the wires left or right?What about the framing in the wall?Is there an empty space between the plywood that the siding is screwed to and the inner area?

When you say drill a hole and run horizontal,are you meaning drill a hole thru the plywood and run the wires left or right?What about the framing in the wall?Is there an empty space between the plywood that the siding is screwed to and the inner area?

Going through the wall to get the wire(s) outside from inside. You can tuck the wire under the siding for the whole circumference of the house. No visible wires.

Ahhhhh got it!! Do you use one of those neat little siding removal tools to pop the bottom of the siding out?

sounds like i wish we had siding here, its all concrete in this country, short of some wooden homes on the islands or the shacks deep in the ghetto. Lots of drilling and plastic molding (for those willing to spend $15 per 5' strip!). And in the attics there is high voltage exposed everywhere due to lack of enforced codes.

Ahhhhh got it!! Do you use one of those neat little siding removal tools to pop the bottom of the siding out?

Nope, too much trouble. To start you take the palm of your hand and thrust the lower row upwards while pulling on the the bottom edge of the upper row. Once started you can unzip a 40' run in less than 10-minutes.

sounds like i wish we had siding here, its all concrete in this country, short of some wooden homes on the islands or the shacks deep in the ghetto. Lots of drilling and plastic molding (for those willing to spend $15 per 5' strip!). And in the attics there is high voltage exposed everywhere due to lack of enforced codes.

The good thing is your houses will still be standing a 100 years after ours are blown or bulldozed down. I do feel your pain. I hate the thoughts of Wire-Mould and Panduit!

Nope, too much trouble. To start you take the palm of your hand and thrust the lower row upwards while pulling on the the bottom edge of the upper row. Once started you can unzip a 40' run in less than 10-minutes.

Got it.Thanks Tail for all the help and guidance.These soldiers here are beating me up on cameras to watch their houses.I did one for a friend and word spread like wildfire.His house had a nice big empty attic and soffits.Made the install a breeze.

Things is, only people down here that can really afford the wire mold is the rich people, its just so expensive, other then for short runs like in a store or office. So most will just run the cable exposed, yep, or in conduit but unfortunately many clients dont even want that. Ofcourse the connections are never exposed, well some others do that, but they dont last long like that.

Siding or masonry?

Yep... surface mount them.