Jimbpd2005

Cameras fading in and out????

I'm at my wits end! I am fairly new to this whole thing and have been doing little side jobs here and there. I just installed 16 cameras in a store and I have a problem with 5 of them fading. Not to black, but just lighter and darker and changing color slightly. It's causing motion activation and eating up the hard drive....and it's just annoying and making my customers doubt my work.

All the cameras are interior vari-focal dome type, and all are mounted @ 1-2 feet from fluorescent fixtures (cause issues?), and all are less then 100' runs using RG cable and twist on ends.

Any ideas or recommendations on how I can fix this?

Sounds like a cabling issue, just off the top of my head... RG-what? 6, 58, 59? I don't like twist-on connectors - not only are they hard on the fingers after you do a few, but they're really susceptible to poor connections if not done right.

Not likely related to the lighting unless you can correlate the fading to lights being turned on or off. You can always check if the cameras have a "flicker" setting that's designed to compensate for some issues caused by flourescent lighting, but I don't think this is one of them.

Agree with Soundy, cables or there might be a potential difference in the earthing (is that the correct term?). Do you power the cameras from the same outlet? Also if you have an open coupling that might connect the cable's earth to a metal object along the way could cause some tricky effects. The best is to power all cameras from the same outlet (24VAC) then you know you have the same earth on all cameras.

Soundy and Ted, thanks for the info. I used RG59 cable and twist-on ends (which if you use a wrench are a bit easier on the hands). I don't know of any grounding issues with 5 different lines, and all 16 of the cameras are run from one 12V power box. I will try to redo a few of the ends with crimp-on connectors and see if that makes a difference. I don't remember any flicker switches on the camera boards, but I'll check for those also. Thanks for the advice.

I'll also try checking the cameras on my handheld test monitor and see if I still get flicker from the cameras. Funny part is this issue didn't arise until the cameras had been in service for about 2 months.

Thanks again guys and I'll let ya know what I find.

Hmmm... are these cameras in a particularly damp environment, or in a location near the ocean (salty air)? Two months, I would suspect corrosion is starting to set in on your connections. Are your cables all-copper conductors?

Soundy and Ted, thanks for the info. I used RG59 cable and twist-on ends (which if you use a wrench are a bit easier on the hands). I don't know of any grounding issues with 5 different lines, and all 16 of the cameras are run from one 12V power box. I will try to redo a few of the ends with crimp-on connectors and see if that makes a difference. I don't remember any flicker switches on the camera boards, but I'll check for those also. Thanks for the advice.

I'll also try checking the cameras on my handheld test monitor and see if I still get flicker from the cameras. Funny part is this issue didn't arise until the cameras had been in service for about 2 months.

16 cameras on one 12VDC? My guess is that you have some problems with tension. Especially on the cameras farthest away from the power supply. I'd try 24VAC instead.

16 cameras on one 12VDC? My guess is that you have some problems with tension. Especially on the cameras farthest away from the power supply. I'd try 24VAC instead.

Ummm, yeah, might wanna make sure the cameras support 24VAC first, or you'll have a lot of very pricey paperweights.

16 cameras on a single 12VDC power supply isn't a big deal, provided it can supply enough power.

Ummm, yeah, might wanna make sure the cameras support 24VAC first, or you'll have a lot of very pricey paperweights.

16 cameras on a single 12VDC power supply isn't a big deal, provided it can supply enough power.

Good point 12 VDC over more than 100ft of cable gives more tension fall, which you don't have with 24VAC.

Good point 12 VDC over more than 100ft of cable gives more tension fall, which you don't have with 24VAC.

That's true, but having 16 cameras on one supply doesn't necessarily have anything to do with that. There are plenty out there that are DESIGNED for 16 or more 12V outputs.

And again, if the cameras are designed for 12VDC only, using 24VAC will fry them pretty quickly.

That's true, but having 16 cameras on one supply doesn't necessarily have anything to do with that. There are plenty out there that are DESIGNED for 16 or more 12V outputs.

And again, if the cameras are designed for 12VDC only, using 24VAC will fry them pretty quickly.

Absolutely, I'm not arguing that, the tension loss over distance is the problem with 12VDC. It is better for distances >75ft to use 24VAC and a 24VAC/12VDC converter if you have a 12VDC camera. I assume that people installing CCTV-systems know the difference between 12VDC and 24VAC.

pricey paperweights

I like this, I have alot of those that I have found during repairs.

I assume that people installing CCTV-systems know the difference between 12VDC and 24VAC.

Answer:

I am fairly new to this whole thing and have been doing little side jobs here and there.

pricey paperweights

I assume that people installing CCTV-systems know the difference between 12VDC and 24VAC.

Answer:

I am fairly new to this whole thing and have been doing little side jobs here and there.

This is my concern: simply telling someone new to the whole thing, "Oh, just go to 24V instead of 12V!" may be a recipe for disaster, if he doesn't realize that not all cameras will survive 24V and just blindly makes the change.

And besides, voltage drop would cause the affected cameras to simply drop out, not "fade in and out" as described.

pricey paperweights

Answer:

This is my concern: simply telling someone new to the whole thing, "Oh, just go to 24V instead of 12V!" may be a recipe for disaster, if he doesn't realize that not all cameras will survive 24V and just blindly makes the change.

And besides, voltage drop would cause the affected cameras to simply drop out, not "fade in and out" as described.

If you say so..

What solutions would you suggest if the skill level of the receiver is below basic 12/24V knowledge?

Anyway, another guess of mine: Are there any cameras connected to a monitor with a T- or Y-contact before connected to the DVR?

pricey paperweights

Answer:

If you say so..

What solutions would you suggest if the skill level of the receiver is below basic 12/24V knowledge?

Just what I suggested right off the top: "make sure the cameras support 24VAC first".

Specifically, prudent advice would have been, "16 cameras on one 12VDC? My guess is that you have some problems with tension. Especially on the cameras farthest away from the power supply. I'd try 24VAC instead, IF THE CAMERAS SUPPORT IT."

I used an 18 camera 12DCV power box. Not sure of the mA's on it, but I've never had this same problem with any of the other systems I used the same power supply on. Not saying that it's not the problem, just haven't had the fading issue before. The one thing I did do different on this system is split the VGA monitor using a VGA splitter/transformer. The only difference I noticed in that was a slight decrease in resolution on both monitors.

I'll be going to this job on Sunday afternoon and will first look at the connections and if the cameras have any settings on them for flicker. I don't remember any setting switches though.

And if that doesn't work, I'll try replacing one of the cameras with a new one and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions....I really do appreciate it all.

I used an 18 camera 12DCV power box. Not sure of the mA's on it, but I've never had this same problem with any of the other systems I used the same power supply on. Not saying that it's not the problem, just haven't had the fading issue before.

Like I say, power issues wouldn't (or certainly shouldn't) cause the problems you're seeing. If voltage is dropping too much at the cameras, you'd have them cutting out completely, but the problems you describe sound like wiring issues, either with low-quality wire, electrical interference, or poor termination. You can meter the power at the cameras to be sure, but I don't expect you'll find the problem there.

The one thing I did do different on this system is split the VGA monitor using a VGA splitter/transformer. The only difference I noticed in that was a slight decrease in resolution on both monitors.

If anything, that would affect the COMPLETE view, not just specific cameras.

And if that doesn't work, I'll try replacing one of the cameras with a new one and see if that makes a difference.

You could even just try swapping a good camera with a problem camera, and see if the issue follows it. Also try swapping a couple inputs between a good and bad camera and see if the issue follows as well (rule out problems with the DVR inputs).

By any chance, are the runs for the five problem cameras running through the same area, possibly near an EMI source like an HVAC controller or motor, or a lighting transformer or something?

I wonder?????

Do all 5 cameras fade at the same time??? Are the 5 cameras located within close proximity of each other? The reason I ask is fluorescent lighting can be an issue ( maybe ).

Take a deep breath and stand back.

What is the common denominator with these cameras?? I can't beleive you have 5 bad cameras although possible

Can you provide us with a sample video?? Are these 5 cameras being powered by the same side of the power supply. Most of the 12VDC 18 camera supplies we use have 2 boards in them ( 9 cams per board ). This may suggest an issue with the supply.

Again, try to determine what is common with these 5 cameras. Go even further and doubt the DVR. Very very unlikely but possible. Are these 5 cameras connected to the DVR in sequence with each other? Think outside the box so to speak and entertain anything.

Since you said it happened 2 months after installation, what changed on the property, if anything??

Just trying to provide additional thoughts so when you do visit the property, you have a few more things to look at.

If I had to make a prediction, I beleive you will find that the flourescent lighting is causing the problem. I had one customer who had a similar issue. When I reviewed the video, I noticed the flourescent lighting was flickering but to the human eye it was not noticable. As stated prior, see if the camera does have a flicker control. Most low end cams do not though.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck

Mike

I'll be going to this job on Sunday afternoon and will first look at the connections and if the cameras have any settings on them for flicker. I don't remember any setting switches though.

Curious - did you get to the bottom of this?