Maxima

Help with box camera in bird house design

For one of my cameras in my system, I'm looking to put it in a bird house mounted securely to a tree. The camera is a Bosch LTC 0355/20 with a Bosch 5-50MM lens.

First of all, if the box camera is in a water tight wood birdhouse, will there be heat problems?

I'm also thinking of adding a separate IR illuminatior inside the bird house. I've never worked with these before; will they create a lot of heat?

I'm really just trying to avoid buying a real outdoor enclosure cause it will look goofy mounted in my tree since it's close to the side walk and may make the neighbors wonder.

You should be ok except when it is 90 degrees out in the summer time.

You could cut a hole in the front wall, and the back wall at the top of the A frame, and cover the hole with screen material.

You could even ad a fan if you need.

What do you think?

UH OH. I was really hoping it was going to be okay in the heat. I've never used an outdoor type enclosure, but could never understand how a fan would work. Won't it being open to air, allow moister in?

Thanks for the reply.

A box camera should be ok without the vent holes.

Perhaps you may want to use a bullet camera?

Well I think I'm going to be going without the Illuminator and just have the camera, but I'm looking at having 3 cameras in the same box.

Truthfully after using my first real camera with high res and low lux, I don't know if I could ever consider anything but a real box camera again unless it was in my vehicle setup or something. I seriously can't wait until I get home again tonight to play with the camera and look at the clear picture.