thewireguys

New Axis M1031-W just arrived

Can't wait to test this camera. Check out the feature list:

Multiple H.264, Motion JPEG and MPEG-4 video streams

PIR sensor and illumination LED

Microphone and speaker

Wireless connectivity

You can record an audio clip in the camera when the PIR or video motion detection is triggered you can be played though the speaker in the camera.

The speaker in the camera is loud and clear. You can easily understand the audio in a normal sized room.

The LED is very bright and you can also have it triggered by the PIR to come on when the room is pitch black so you can record the images.

I will test out the range of the LED when it is dark.

Also the price point of the M10 cameras is great.

AXIS M1011 $179

AXIS M1011-W $199

AXIS M1031-W $279

http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_m10_33831_en_0812_lo.pdf

Those look pretty nice. They appear to be pretty clearly designed for indoor use only...

You are correct indoor only.

My room finally got dark so I could test the LED capabilities. I am very impressed with it and I will post images later. My room is pitch black and with the LED off the images is black but with the LED on you should have no problem identifying someone within 20ft on the camera.

I will test out the range of the LED when it is dark.

Please test the LED in total darkness using a reasonable shutter speed (1/30 or faster).

Best,

Christopher

Sorry if I am chrashing the party here but Axis need to learn the difference between a security camera and a web camera. Not saying that Axis dont have any decent security cameras, but this is not one of them. Those images suck for security use.

Sorry if I am chrashing the party here but Axis need to learn the difference between a security camera and a web camera. Not saying that Axis dont have any decent security cameras, but this is not one of them. Those images suck for security use.

That is in a pitch black room for 279$. You can identify someone in that image and like i said that is with the default setting. Also with the lights on that camera has a very good image.

That is in a pitch black room for 279$. You can identify someone in that image and like i said that is with the default setting.

Have you actually tried to identify someone.? That chair is not moving. It's important to keep in mind that many of these IP cameras will automatically adjust the exposure time to as long as 1 or 2 seconds. Try walking across the room in total darkness and see if your face is as sharp as the chair, or is it just a blur.

Regarding the car at 35 mph, that's daylight, when the shutter speed could be 1/100 or faster. You need to test moving objects in total darkness and then post those images.

Best,

Christopher

Edited by Guest

Well, fixed lens with only VGA resolution. Weak IR. I just dont think this is a camera for the security industry. It is a advanced web camera. For home use. Sorry...

Well, fixed lens with only VGA resolution. Weak IR. I just dont think this is a camera for the security industry. It is a advanced web camera. For home use. Sorry...

Your correct this a camera for homes and small offices I never stated other wise. And you should read the specs on the camera it's not a IR camera. It is a color camera with a white LED and a PIR motion detector build into the camera.

Also just in case you missed it that was 30fps 640*480 30%compression @ 600kbps.

I am not saying this is the best camera in the world but for 279$ this is a great camera at a good price.

95057_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

That is in a pitch black room for 279$. You can identify someone in that image and like i said that is with the default setting.

Have you actually tried to identify someone.? That chair is not moving. It's important to keep in mind that many of these IP cameras will automatically adjust the exposure time to as long as 1 or 2 seconds. Try walking across the room in total darkness and see if your face is as sharp as the chair, or is it just a blur.

Regarding the car at 35 mph, that's daylight, when the shutter speed could be 1/100 or faster. You need to test moving objects in total darkness and then post those images.

Best,

Christopher

There is a lot of settings for image qualty. I don't have time right now but I will test the settings in the dark with the white LED on.

These are the setting used in the night time image.

95058_1.jpg

Sorry about the IR, misread that one. Just did not get the exitement over a home web camera. My point is that AXIS does not come from the security world, they did printer servers. Now they have made some pretty good cameras but they also confuse people by making cameras that are not more then home web cameras. I run in to the older types of web cameras from AXIS in medium size stores sometimes.

Sorry about the IR, misread that one. Just did not get the exitement over a home web camera. My point is that AXIS does not come from the security world, they did printer servers. Now they have made some pretty good cameras but they also confuse people by making cameras that are not more then home web cameras. I run in to the older types of web cameras from AXIS in medium size stores sometimes.

What is your definition of a IP camera? The M10 cameras are cheap IP cameras with good image quality. I would have no problem selling these cameras to a small business that needs indoor cameras. Would I recommend these for a enterprise solution, no but a lot of people are asking for cheap quality IP cameras and these fit the bill.

What do you consider a "pretty good camera"

Perhaps it's not the best for security, but I think there's a place for something like this.

I used an analog Speco camera and an Axis server to webcast Christmas this past year (forwarded the port to the server and emailed the IP address to all the relatives who couldn't attend). Family across the country got to see all the grandkids open presents, and participate via conference call.

Something like this would be far easier to set up than what I did, and better picture/frame-rate to boot.

Perhaps it's not the best for security, but I think there's a place for something like this.

I used an analog Speco camera and an Axis server to webcast Christmas this past year (forwarded the port to the server and emailed the IP address to all the relatives who couldn't attend). Family across the country got to see all the grandkids open presents, and participate via conference call.

Something like this would be far easier to set up than what I did, and better picture/frame-rate to boot.

Why do you say this is not the best camera for security? As long as you don't need something that that is Vandal-resistant or outside this camera could be an option. It's small, has H.264, better image quality than analog cameras, 2-way audio and it's cheap. If you want something that is close in features you would have to use a Axis Q4701 video server and a Analog camera then your total price is $599 plus the price of a analog camera.

Why do you say this is not the best camera for security? As long as you don't need something that that is Vandal-resistant or outside this camera could be an option. It's small, has H.264, better image quality than analog cameras, 2-way audio and it's cheap. If you want something that is close in features you would have to use a Axis Q4701 video server and a Analog camera then your total price is $599 plus the price of a analog camera.

Exactly the reasons you cited; I agree it would be fine for indoors.

The majority of my cameras are vandal-resistant domes, and are exterior cameras that must be day/night, IR-sensitive, and function in very unfavorable weather.

As I said, this new Axis model would have been a great alternative to what I did this past Christmas, and I would have been glad to have it. It's cheaper, simpler, and has better video.

************ Edit *************

While we're on the subject, do they have any plans to make a weatherproof version?

Exactly the reasons you cited; I agree it would be fine for indoors.

The majority of my cameras are vandal-resistant domes, and are exterior cameras that must be day/night, IR-sensitive, and function in very unfavorable weather.

As I said, this new Axis model would have been a great alternative to what I did this past Christmas, and I would have been glad to have it. It's cheaper, simpler, and has better video.

************ Edit *************

While we're on the subject, do they have any plans to make a weatherproof version?

All of the installs we do require indoor and outdoor cameras. So this camera will be an option for our customers. As for Axis making a weatherproof version of this camera..... not gonna happen. Right now Axis has only 2 cameras that come ready to install outside... 225FD and the new 215PTZ. I have also heard people are installing the 209FD-R outside under eaves.

There is about 4 more cameras Axis is releasing by the end of the 1st quarter that are going to be very useful.

There is about 4 more cameras Axis is releasing by the end of the 1st quarter that are going to be very useful.

Can you provide any details?

Best,

Christopher

lack of POE restricts the install..........it's still wired to a power supply.

To which camera are you referring?

Best,

Christopher

lack of POE restricts the install..........it's still wired to a power supply.

You are correct if you are referring to the M10 but Axis is not going to release a POE M10 for 2 reasons:

1) two of the three M10 cameras are wireless so they have to be plugged in anyways

2) they don't want the M10's to compete with the 210 211s and with the new h.264 box camera that is coming out.

But if you need POE support with the M10's there is a POE splitter that you can use to power the camera. Retails for $89 so now you have a h.264 indoor camera with POE for a total cost of $179 + $89 = $268

The M30 line is POE