cglaeser

low light or super low light IP security cameras

Axis's

233d is .008 b/w

232d .005 b/w

214ptz .005 b/w

I think the 214 has a really good low light image and the Arecont 3130 has a good night image but I don't have the specs handy.

The problem with the Axis data sheets is they don't specify the shutter speed used to measure the reported low light rating. Any exposure longer than about 1/25 is not really usable for a security camera, but Axis typically use exposure times much longer than that.

I have the Axis 223M, which has a low lux rating of 0.2 lux in the data sheet. What they fail to mention is the lux rating is for exposure times of between 1 and 2 seconds, which is completely unusable for person identification. I have measured the low light capabilities of this camera, and a shutter speed of 1/25 is no where near 0.2 lux. So, when I see an Axis low light rating of 0.008 lux for the 223D without an associated shutter speed, it make me wonder. FWIW, Mobotix does include shutter speed with low light ratings, so their numbers are useful.

Are there any low light fixed megapixel IP cameras available? Is there anything comparable to or better than the Mobotix M12 SEC Day-Night?

Best,

Christopher

Sorry you said IP cameras not megapixel cameras. The problem with megapixel cameras is the larger the sensor the more light you need. I think your going to have a hard time finding a good low light megapixel camera with the current technology. I have the Arecont 3130 and I think the b/w image is a lot better then the color image. I was very surprised with the low light image quality.

Sorry you said IP cameras not megapixel cameras.

Right, I added megapixel to the thread.

I have the Arecont 3130 and I think the b/w image is a lot better then the color image. I was very surprised with the low light image quality.

I found a product spec on the net that indicated 0.01 lux, but the specs did not mention the shutter speed. Based on my experience with the 223M, I know how that game can be played (i.e. extremely long exposure time to achieve low lux value). Do you know the shutter speed of that 0.01 lux figure?

Best,

Christopher

Sorry you said IP cameras not megapixel cameras.

I found a product spec on the net that indicated 0.01 lux, but the specs did not mention the shutter speed. Based on my experience with the 223M, I know how that game can be played (i.e. extremely long exposure time to achieve low lux value). Do you know the shutter speed of that 0.01 lux figure?

Best,

Christopher

Arecont soft has those setting

-------------------------------------------------------

High Speed

enables the shortest exposure, selectable from a

drop-down list “Short Exposureâ€

Arecont soft has those setting

Thanks, the Axis 223M has those settings as well. Here's the problem. When manufacturers publish low light specifications, they typically do not include the shutter speed required to achieve that lux value. For example, the Axis 223M specifications are 0.2 lux, BUT .... at what shutter speed?

Well, my testing indicates 0.2 lux requires a shutter speed of 2 seconds. Sure wish I had known that before I purchased the camera. 2 seconds may be fine for viewing parked cars, but is pretty much useless for person identification.

So, that's why I asked about the Arecont low light lux value and shutter speed. Is that 0.01 lux at 1/60, or is it 2 seconds? That's a *huge* difference in performance, and that's why 0.01 lux does not mean much without specifying the shutter speed.

Best,

Christopher

OK. A couple options in the Megapixel market:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/cctv/SpecSheets/WV-NP1004Final.pdf

The WV-NP1004 is a true day/night 1.25MP camera with a Lux of 0.06 F1.4 at 1/30 shutter speed

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/security/WV-NP304_2A-035AL.pdf

The WV-NP304 isn't bad at night but is a digital Day/Night camera. Specs say 0.9 Lux in B/W but that is without any slow shutter gimicks.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-securitycameras/cat-secmegapixel/

All three of Sony's 1.3MP cameras have a light funnel technology that at a certain lux with take 4 pixels and combine them to increase the light sensitively(to dumb it down a little). This means that if your B/W MP image can't see, it will reduce to a VGA image and greatly increase the low light sensitively.

SNCCM120: B&W: 0.01 lx (50IRE, F1.3,AGC 30dB) - specs say this is without Light funnel.

SNCCM120: B&W: 0.01 lx (50IRE, F1.3,AGC 30dB) - specs say this is without Light funnel.

Thanks. Did you find any specs that specify the shutter speed of the 0.01 lux? I located various specs on the net, but no shutter speed.

Best,

Christopher