Helen

Need help designing a home cctv system

First off, let me apologise for lack of technical knowledge (I'm a total noob).

I wish to create a cctv system for my home, but am totally confused by it all.

I want the system to be 4 cameras (IR)which will be wired and I want video to be saved to a DVR.

So my question is....what items should be on my shopping list?

Thanks in advance

Helen

Helen:

The best way to look at a basic system is to go to ebay and type in DRV.

Look at higest price. Then go down to a 16 or 4 channel system and see what all they offer.

Find something is your price range.

While not everything is needed, here is an idea.

16 Channel 480fps LINUX DVR Server, Keyboard & Mouse

LINUX OS and DVR Software on IDE Flash Drive (pre-installed)

500' Siamese Cable Spool

32 BNC & Power Connectors

QTY 16 Cameras from THIS list

16 Channel Power Box

19" LCD Monitor

Printed Quick-Start Guide

Don't go on ebay and please don't try and build your own DVR as you'll be back on this forum asking us how to fix it!

The best thing to do is pull out your phonebook and look for a local dealer. If your wanting to do it yourself, ask them if you can buy equipment only. You can purchase items online but you'll get little to no support. This is where your dealer comes in.

If your thinking you can't afford for a security integrator to come out and install a system, chances are you can't afford the system that will offer the results your looking for.

Remember, you get what you pay for and when it comes to security, you don't want to go cheap. If you buy a $100 camera, it will perform like a $100 camera.

However, as for equipment, the least quality I would recommend is:

DVR: Argus JPEG-2000 model

Camera: KT&C KPC-N600H1 (Bullet IR style)

if budget allows, I would look into:

DVR: ICRealtime Max or Flex series (about 35% more money)

Camera: Extreme CCTV IR Domes (about 2-3 times the money)

I agree with securitymonster. If you are serious about this system please contact a local installer.

This is very good advice... please heed it. I say this as a non-dealer.

Unless you have a significant amount of technical knowledge already, you're going to be completely in the dark about what you really need.

If you don't understand camera specs, DVR specs, resolution, frame-rates, storage calculations, processing power required for motion detection and other analytics, IP-versus-analog, and so forth, you'll have great difficulty getting it right, and you'll make LOTS of mistakes... probably waste a lot of money in the process too.

There comes a time when you should consult an expert, and this is one of those times.

Helen:

The best way to look at a basic system is to go to ebay and type in DRV.

Look at higest price. Then go down to a 16 or 4 channel system and see what all they offer.

Find something is your price range.

While not everything is needed, here is an idea.

16 Channel 480fps LINUX DVR Server, Keyboard & Mouse

LINUX OS and DVR Software on IDE Flash Drive (pre-installed)

500' Siamese Cable Spool

32 BNC & Power Connectors

QTY 16 Cameras from THIS list

16 Channel Power Box

19" LCD Monitor

Printed Quick-Start Guide

If you follow this advise, the only guarantee you will get it that you will be spending your money twice, The first time to buy the eBay junk and the second time to buy a quality system, This is a very big problem as every person installs CCTV now a days, even when they know nothing about it.

I usually tell my customers to sell there junk systems that i uninstall on ebay.

Geees, I said the best way to look at the parts for system is to check EBay. Not buy the crap from EBay.

I agree with all who slammed me that a qualified installer is the way to go.

I will make sure to review my post better next time.

HELEN,

WHY DO YOU NEED A SYSTEM?

DO YOU NEED TO SEE FACES OR LICENCE PLATES OR CARS?

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU THINK THIS WILL COST(HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND)?

WHERE ABOUTS DO YOU LIVE?

SORRY ABOUT BEING SO POINTED ABOUT THIS, LOTS OF PEOPLE GET THIS STUFF AND IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS THEY DON'T NEED THE STUFF ANY MORE. I DO HOPE YOU HAVE A PERIMETER ALARM SYSTEM, A FIRE ALARM SYSTEM AND SOME MOITION LIGHTS FOR THE HOUSE . THIS IS THE FIRST THING A HOUSE HOLD SHOULD HAVE. REMENBER A CCTV SYSTEM WILL ONLY SHOW YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE WHAT HAPPENED WHERE THE CAMERAS ARE LOOKING. A CCTV SYSTEM IS A GOOD THING TO HAVE BUT ITS NOT THE FIRST THING. I'M IN NY A I HAVE LOTS OF GOOD STUFF THAT COULD WORK FOR YOU. AS EVERYONE SAID GET A GOOD INSTALLER, I WORKED AS AN INSTALLER FOR MANY YEARS AND I DID MANY JOBS FOR PEOPLE ON THE SIDE CHEAPLY, BECAUSE I HAD ALL THE STUFF FROM WORK, I WORKED OUT OF THEIR TRUCK (MY TRUCK LOL) WELL THEY GAVE IT TO ME UNTIL IT HAD 60,000 MILES THEN THEY GAVE ME ANOTHER NEW ONE. GOOD LUCK TOM