swampguinnie

Which NVR to use

Hi,

Is there a recommended NVR on the market that would support 16 channels of which you pro's have installed a few of and had good results with for both reliability and user satisfaction, is capable of 240 frames per second and are supported by windows as I use firefox.

I suppose I can afford upto £1000 or in the region of

For a NVR server - do not buy some extra costly Dell systems, just do it yourself. Get for example SuperMicro chasis SC828TQ-R1200LPB, chuck in some Western Digital 1TB hard drives(I suggest model number WD1002FBYS, its for RAID), drop in Intel Xeon Quad Core X3360 2.83GHz, FSB1333, 12M, S775 processor, some memory and off you go. Easy mate Good luck.

This DIY instruction was posted somewhere in the forum, is it really that easy to build one

Oh and while I am asking, I am thinking of buying the Siamese Coax (Thanks Scorpion for advice) and installing the 1st Fix before buying any equipment. Is this suitable for every setup incase I change direction of install at any point?

Thanks in advance folks

Are you DIY because you are interested in the technology or doing it to save a few bucks? If it's a hobby, build your own. If you are just trying to save money then buy a ready built server and save money somewhere else in the project.

You may build a server and have zero problems with it. If so that's great! but if your system starts blue screening once a week you could be in for a long and rocky road. The OS manufacturer will point to the power supply manufacturer, who will point to the mother board manufacturer and so on and so on. Any money savings could quickly be lost in time and patience.

On cabling, You mentioned NVR... Are you using IP cams or analog?

Thanks for the reply C7

Are you DIY because you are interested in the technology or doing it to save a few bucks? If it's a hobby, build your own. If you are just trying to save money then buy a ready built server and save money somewhere else in the project.

Hands up I am trying to save a few quid on the job as I cant afford the really expensive sytems & to be fair I may be wasting my time as has already been pointed out on here.

In all honesty, i don't even know if I need an NVR or DVR to be able to suit my requirements, but was beleiving the NVR PTZ cam could be controlled remotely & liked the idea. This may well be overkill for my needs!

On cabling, You mentioned NVR... Are you using IP cams or analog?

I didn't mention NVR on cabling, I asked if there was a good NVR on the market for £1000 that would suit my requirements. However, I did ask about cabling in general as I at least know where I want my cameras and thoght at the minimum I could install the cabling ready for when I can afford the equipment I need. So in a way I was trying to future proof my self with the best cabling (siamese was best guess) which would suit all scenarios.

I would imagine cabling to be relatively cheap in the grand scale of things.

Thanks

Marsh

Yes, if you don't count labor, cabling does not have to be very expensive. But you may want to check with the local authority having jurisdiction to see if you need plenum rated cable. --That would double the price of the cable where I live.

How long are your cable runs? I usually suggest siamese cable for analog camera installs. But if I wanted to future proof I would use cat5e or cat6. IP cameras are the future (and present) and will not run on your siamese cable. If the runs are short it would not be too expensive to install a cat5 with the siamese to use in the future. If the runs are longish I would run cat5 or cat6 only and use baluns to terminate to the camera/DVR. In the future if you decide to install IP cameras you can just punch down a jack to the existing cable and be ready to go. Depending on the specific install there is not much if any advantage to using cat6 over 5e. I do like the heavier construction of Cat6 cable but if you have a lot of runs the cable management can get to be a concern.