bass1

Cable and satellite DVR compared to security DVR

I was watching a program previously recorded on a friends satellite DVR and I noticed the picture is perfect, as if I was watching the show directly from the company and not from a dvr. Comparing that image to my h.264 secuirty DVR I was a bit discouraged as I purchased a top quality DVR, and now wondering why dont these security DVRs have the same quality as a sat or cable dvr. It records in real time without a probem, which seems to be a huge deal with the security dvrs. Theyre also recording up to 3 channels simultaneously for only 300 bucks on a 500gb hard system.

I wonder if one of these dvrs can be rigged for security use, anyone try or thought of this.

Lets change the playing field to make it equal. Pass a law that says the cable company, and the sat dish company must store 24 hours of tv programing, and they must keep this for 7 days.

That is 48 1/2 programs a day times 7 days that equal a total of 336 1/2 hours shows!

Now lets see what the video is going to look like as they try to shove all of the programing in to the same hard drive.

Note: Lets make it harder, and tell the company's that they cannot change the hard drive, and they must use the original hard drive.

The companies would refuse!! If they complied then your video would be compressed, and you would lose quality.

If this fake scenerio were to happen then it would be a boon to CCTV. There would be some real serious research, and development!

To use the sat PIR, and the cable DVR then you would have to use a modulator to get the CCTV video in to the box. Then you would have to tell it which show to record in the same time that you want it to record. You will not have video before the record time, or after the record time.

You would have to reprogram the box to get 24 hour recording.

Hey scorp appreciate your intellectual response, but space isn't a a big issue anymore you can get a 1tb hard drive for pretty cheap. These high end companies like American Dynamics are charging 5k for something that's no where close as a cable or sat company dvr that's going for $300 . You can also add now a 1.5tb to some of the home dvrs now giving you plenty of room. Again the picture is true high definition. I think in the near future security dvrs will reach that point.

Is a modulator the same as a multiplexor? Might try this in the weeks to come just to see what I get.

Of course, if you only blew $200 on an Avtech DVR you don't feel as bad. It definitely

doesn't record video as good on its "best, frame" setting as a 6 year old Panasonic

Consumer DVR records at the SP (2-hour on one DVD) setting. However, it does

record motion events and send FTP images. I consider it a trainer security DVR.

Now I know how to pick my next DVR. Ideally, I'll want to see the video output of

the next DVR I buy before I buy it, but that may be difficult over the internet.

I think if you want real dvd quality you will have to find a dvr that uses mpeg2 format not sure if they even exist for security systems, h.264 is great for saving space and much better then mpeg4 but still the picture will be no where as good as mpeg2. I could be wrong though. My picture (h.264) quality is pretty good but still not dvd quality, I read somewhere on this site that once you get hooked into this hobby you will always want an upgrade to a better system, very true. But to be fair my h.264 is pretty good just not dvd/hd quality.

If you build it they will come, shouldnt be that big of a deal now to make a 3tb system that records in mpeg2, shouldnt be 10k either. Theyre doing 500gb systems for cable and sat companies for $250-$400.

Visimetrics (based in Scotland) does a unit called the Visimetrics Fastar.

I have one, quality is great, and it is mpeg2.

8 Channels, all full D1 real time recording 25fps (pal as Im in the UK, but I think its selectable., best check though) each channel with lip synced audio.

Also has alarm inputs, outputs, spot monitor output, main monitor output, ethernet, serial etc.

Rack mount server style unit, very nice.

Afraid I dont know the price though, I picked up a bargain ages ago, but even if its pricey, its a solid unit with excellent picture quality.

Their support is top notch also...

It really comes down to one simple thing: design priorities. A home-theater PVR's design priorities are video quality and easy of use for one, or maybe two video streams. Retention amount is not a main concern.

With surveillance DVRs, the priority is usually maximum retention, for SEVERAL video sources - in some cases up to 16 or 32. The software interface is also generally far more advanced than your basic PVR recorder, which equates to higher development costs.

And of course, you have the economy of scale: the market for satellite and cable PVRs is probably 100 to 1000 times larger than that for CCTV recorders... thus it can be sold far cheaper.

Don't forget that most of your digital television is higher resolution than most analog cameras.

Alternatively, "real time" and "30fps" recording is a trend and not really necessary for evident video. Take a good quality recording at 5 frames per second to court and you have something to prosecute with, thats if it even gets that far.