toast68

Multiple 802.11 cameras to a single access point

I need to connect four (4) SNC-RZ25N cameras to a network. All will be mounted away from a building. There is power on the poles that they will be mounted on. I was thinking of using the wireless card for that series of camera in each of them and having them connect to a single wireless access point. Once on the network, I'd probably use the Real Shot software for monitoring and recording.

Does anyone have any experience trying a set up like this? I am concerned that 4 cameras trying to hit a single access point might be too much and I'll end up with choppy video.

It depends............. What compression are you using, how many FPS does your client require? How for away are the cameras from the access point? What access point are you going to use? Is the access point LOS to the cameras?

If your using say 6 fps and Mjep-4 @ 640 * 480 and your using a good access point you shouldn't have a problem.

Do keep in mind the relatively limited range of WiFi - 300' line-of-sight for 11b/g unless you go with repeaters and/or high-gain antennas... and the closer your get to the far end of that range, the weaker your signal and the lower your bandwidth.

I would use EnGenius for your access point.

http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/Category.aspx?id=17

I just looked up the price for the new EOC-2610 is $89 wow...

Thanks for the info in both posts. I had never seen EnGenius products and it looks like it might worth a try. I just placed and order for one to try at my house. For < $90.00 I am not risking much. Worst case, it will cover my back yard if I cannot use it for the installation.

As far as frame rate, compression, etc....I obviously didn't think my original post all the way through and list that. I'd use MPEG4 and no audio. I'd like to get the highest frame rate possible. I am going to push it when testing and go for 30 fps to start and then lower it to get the desired functionality.