Peterdvr

Geo 800 problem

I have a Geo 800 that I can not view my cameras anymore from my home computer. I get the prompt for password and user name, i fill in and it says can't connect to server. I can log in from other computers just not my home. Any suggestions?

thanks

reason is that you have a router at site and have not port forwarded the command ports for passwords, make sure to port forward the following... 3550, 4550, 5550, 80, 21 and 6550

The port forwarding is needed on the client side? He said remote view works at other computers, just not his home computer.

Or are the computers (that work) on the same LAN as the Geo?

Just trying to learn this stuff.

Hi Peterdvr

So you can view your remote cameras from other computers at other locations, but not from home, well first of all that has nothing to do with routers, if you can already make a remote connection from other locations your setup must be correct at the web server side of things, in which case you have a problem with your home machine or internet connections.

cctv@cctvshack.com

http://www.cctvshack.com

I have tried logging on at my friends house with no problem. In the past i was logging on at home with no problem. Now I get to the login part and when I try it says. Can't connect to server. Maybe I screwed up a setting on my home computer?

Any other ideas.

thanks

Peter

are you using Internet Explorer?

Anyway, what OS are you using?

If its Windows XP, goto Command Prompt under Start, Programs, Accessories.

Type in PING 1.1.1.1

where 1.1.1.1. is your local IP address in the DVR.

Let us know if you get a TIMED OUT or not.

Question, can you access the internet from this PC that is causing the problem, in other words is it on the same network as the DVR.

Rory

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter >PING 1.1.1.1

Pinging 1.1.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=248

Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter >

you changed 1.1.1.1 for your DVR IP right?

anwyay, it should run 4 times, and should either TIME OUT on each request, or give a Response. You should see the results and the window should not close out.

a Response is good.

I take it that you replaced 1.1.1.1. from your local DVR IP ...

anwyay, if so, that is good, you are connecting to that IP from your PC ....

So perhaps something lies in the IP address you entered in GEO or the Username in GEO?

rory

It seems that the problem lies in the server software, not on the connection

If I where you, I would just reinstall the software again, GEO is not that stable of a software, contrary to what other's believe.

so check the IP address, user, and password in GEO first.

What I would also do is do a telnet to the DVR. I dont know GEO though so I dont know what port it connects on, if you can find that out, see if you can telnet to it.

Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Hyperterminal

New Connection name it anything ... say DVR, using the drop down for CONNECT USING, select TCPIP, then enter the DVR's local IP, and Port Number it connects to - for example with kalatel DVRs it is port 1024.

Click OK, if it connects bottom left of the window you will see CONNECTED ..if not it will let you know.

If you can connect then it is perhaps a user name/password issue.

Someone else that knows GEO better may be able to help from there.

Rory

Give it a try:

...........blanked out ...

let me know if you get on.

Well port 8080 is the router's port and I can connect to that without a problem.

Do you know what GEO's port is?

Rory

Edited by Guest

okay I can connect to port 4550, and 5550 but thats it.

Maybe do what Hermin said also..

Also, you may want edit the post you made that shows your IP, if you need to send anyone it here just PM it to them, or you may find hackers logging on! Also can slow down your connection if others start logging on, if it is a static IP anway, if the IP changes than no worries.

Rory

actually seems port 8080 is the GEO's port and yes it works.

Like Herm said, try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it.

Also, using internet Explorer, can you connect to it or is this where your problem is?

If so then it could be an active X problem with IE on your PC as that what IE uses for GEO ...does it just not connect or does not load anything properly?

And, are you using Internet Explorer or using Netscape or FireFox (have to ask!)

Also, if your PC is XP and did a recent update to Service Pack 2 - it will require you click on the yellow tab at the top of the window to install the ActiveX control. This is a security update in Service Pack 2.

Rory

Crock......

Only three reasons why you can connect from other pc's and not that one...

1/ you have old version of explorer on that machine without ligis indigo codec

2/ you are behind a router or your ISP blocks certain postes for commincation, you will ned to port forward for this.

3/ youa re running firewall type softwrae that blocks ports

If you can load the page and not connect the password, my guess is either you half installed the codec or you have port 3550, 4550,or 550, blocked on your router. make sure your first page loads all the way skipping it or using a shortcut will make your machine try to connect to the local host

its a local PC on the same network as the DVR ..he can connect from outside no problem, just not from his PC which is on the same network (supposedly). He can get on the web so the router is working, maybe a firewall loaded on his PC??

That would be my guess, or an old version of IE, or a block made on the install of codecs or lastly a half installed codec... helll, now I know why you love standalones so much rory... easier not to have to worry bout this shait

That would be my guess, or an old version of IE, or a block made on the install of codecs or lastly a half installed codec... helll, now I know why you love standalones so much rory... easier not to have to worry bout this shait

yeah but now i need the extra money so im geting some PCs in and will wait for the client to crash them

nah, getting them in for people that want real time and can use a dedicated PC, and ofcourse tech people also .. others ill jus throw them a cheap standalone .. or the expensive one .. XP SP2 is much better now than the previous XP so once i strip them down like i have done mine, they should be ok.

Edited by Guest