Sign in to follow this  
HDmstng

Recording for other than surveillance uses.

Recently we used a Clover CDR4770 4 channel DVR with two Clover CM105H cameras to monitor the automated machining of a part. One camera would record the monitor getting the position of the machine, and the other was attached to the machine. When the tool broke, we could rewind to the exact point and restart the machine without redoing the old work. The resolution was good enough and we were able to record both channels at 15 fps. The software to navigate the DVR was a bit clunky though but did the trick. There was plenty of harddrive space, and unless there was a problem, old recordings weren't needed. What I didn't like about the Clover software was that you could not delete individual segments, but instead had to format the entire hard drive. Also the software to review videos wasn't too user friendly. It was easy to download a time segement to a USB stick, but fast forwarding and rewinding was hard. Plus you couldn't jump to a certain time if you knew what it was. And converting the files to windows media player was a pain and didn't work all the time.

Even with some of the software issues, we'd like to reapply this on a slightly larger scale to monitor another process, using upwards of 8 cameras. Here are a few of the features we'd like, if there is a system that could be recommended to meet them, that would be great!

1) Wireless would be nice, but we can run cables. My concern is signal issues around our process could be compromised and battery life as well.

2) At least 8 channels to be recorded.

3) High framerates, 15 fps worked okay for our first run, but 30 fps per camera would should be better.

4) Easy to use software. When an event happens it would be nice to be able to review it back and forth, or jump to a certain time.

5) Be able to convert the file so that it can be shared in windows media player without a special codec for easy distribution.

6) Would a PC based system be better than a stand alone DVR?

Thanks for any insight and help you can provide!

HD

Make sure you get a DVR, PC Based or standalone, that can process the 30fps without a strain. Most specs say they can do it but in reality the strain does effect performance.

wireless will work, but wired is best. This sounds like an assembly line so adding a corded camera is harder but will ensure the integrity of the video.

I'd look at a PC Based system with 10x mini dome PTZ cameras. The PTZ camera will allow for finer tuning of the pic and you can install at a distance vice trying to get down in the action. You maybe able to get it on the assembly line so it moves with the product?

IP cams will be expensive........and to obtain a 30fps you'll have a hard time finding a inexpensive (under $500.00) IP cam that does 30fps.

Finding a DVR that records to a standard windows codec is also hard to find. I know Video Insight http://www.video-insight.com) creates AVI files and you don't need special codec to pass around for other to view. I'd look at the hardware cards and stay away from software type cards as the hardware will deliver the fps. Also, if you go with a hardware card you'll be able to back off on the CPU processing since hardware does the processing on the card........but go for both and you'll be happier.

Wireless would probably be useless in a machine shop environment. The high voltage, switching relays, and RF from the CNC take a toll. In the early CNC days, there were many unexplained crashes that took place in heavily populated shops, and shows. The cause turned out to be stray RF that was flying around. RF also affected com cables that were used to up/download programs to the machines. That was fixed by tying each machine to a 6 foot ground rod, and running shielded I/O cables.

A hardwired CCTV system with low loss copper shielded Siamese cable will save you much grief. The camera should be rated for outdoor use so that oil vapor and general shop smog does not enter the cameras. The copper shielded video will shield the RF interference. Another note, No welding during recording!