MikeBrungs

Newbie needs help buying the "right" camera

Grade school gym... I like to point one camera towards one basket, another at the other basket. Then do a split screen. Can I get decent color cameras for say... $75 that would work well for this ?

I would avoid $75.00.

You will want to have a camera that has Wide Dynamic range. Entry level cameras will have 380 lor, and you may need a hire line such as 420 LOR.

Proper cables will make a difference. You will want 95% copper.

Copper center conductor, and copper shield.

Do not use coax that is designed for the Cable, and Sat dish companies as they have steel center conductors, and a copper coating around the center conductor. Their signal is a high signal, and it travels on the outside of the center conductor. CCTV signal is a low freq, and it travels on the inside of the center conductor. The steel will not send the signal a far distance, and the aluminum shield does not help either.

You can use the cheapest camera if you want, but do not expect "TV news" footage, but do use the best cable you can afford.

If the cable is a long distance run then you need to make sure you have the right voltage at the camera. Long run may drop the voltage down.

Hi,

Do not use coax.....

Thanks for the info. What cable should we use for connecting IR cameras located at 60 meters?

I have actually 4 cameras connected with sat coax. I'd like to get the best picture possible with these cameras. Since I saw the fantastic pictures from members on this forum, I feel I have to correct my system

Great thanks for your help.

Greetings to all.

Camomille

Hi,

Do not use coax.....

Thanks for the info. What cable should we use for connecting IR cameras located at 60 meters?

Well, take the complete quote in context: "Do not use coax that is designed for the Cable, and Sat dish...". That's typically RG-58, sometimes RG-6. All-copper RG-6 is fine; RG-59 is best for your purpose.

Everyone here is big on siamese cable (coax and power attached together) and it is pretty convenient to use, but the last time I used any, it was a lot pricier than using straight RG-59 and a separate run of station-Z wire for the power.

I have actually 4 cameras connected with sat coax. I'd like to get the best picture possible with these cameras. Since I saw the fantastic pictures from members on this forum, I feel I have to correct my system

The camera itself is usually the largest factor, and the "fantastic" pictures you see here are usually coming from cameras in the $500+ range, be they analog or IP. As with so much else, you really get what you pay for, and you have to balance price vs. desired quality.

Thank you for your answers and all my excuses for my very late reply

At first, I'll try to get the best picture from my actual material, using correct cable and connection. I'll buy better cameras in a second time (very soon)! For the moment, I'm using Diginet 4.10 and a SK2000-S3.

Now that I have bought a valid license for Diginet 1.52, I'll need a much better card. This will be a new topic ......

Great thanks again for your help.

Camomille

yeah as the previous poster said:

Use copper-braided RG59.

You can power the cameras at a wall socket (provided you have a small power supply for each camera) at either end of the gym.

the cameras could be viewed on a single monitor using a quad splitter or through a DVR-which can record the video. the difference is cost

you would not get to good quality for $75, but depending on the application (do you simply want a clear image of whats going on?) then a decent indoor dome camera with a fixed lense should suffice.

@ Macvan

Thanks for your reply and all my excuses for the late answer.

Since I have discover this forum, I feel much more interested in video , camera & DVR! It's a kind of virus you have transmitted

I made some investment and bought 120m. RG59, a GV-1240 card and a "350CZ-Zoom Body Camera". Geovision seems to be more professional & serious to me!

I'll replace existing coax with RG59 and install new cams this week. Power supplies can be placed near the cams!

I'll keep you informed and also give you a list & pictures of my actual cameras.

Great thanks again for the help and good tips !

Camomille

I just did a rec center and we put 2 Vandal Proof Domes model KT&C KPC-WDR470 in the basketball court. I agree with Scorpion, the WDR is necessary because of the glare off the floor of the basketball court. The cameras work great and you might want to consider vandelproof domes cause the kids like to use the cameras as targets practice. The domes have taken several direct hits from basketballs and still function perfectly.