nocoloATV

Resolution question on my latest install

Hi all,

I have some questions on my latest install that I have done. It is the largest so far (the previous were pretty low key too) and the owner was hoping for a little higher resolution than what we got. And quite frankly I was expecting a bit more too.

I will list off what I have installed.

GeovisionGV6008

2MCCTV2MGN605

2MCCTV2M0660A

BTronAC1621

8 total cameras, with 6-60mm lenses, 3 outside, 5 inside. I have one camera in question for sure on video quality, it is covering an outside lot about 50 feet away, the lens on the camera it fully capable of seeing what the owner wants to see, but the resolution is suffering, seems a little under quality for what the camera/lens is rated for. Also in the night time the lot is lit up and he says you can't really make out what car/truck is driving around.

Also inside the building the quality just doesn't seem as high as it should for a 480 line camera. I am wondering if the DVR card is the choke point on the quality.

Any tips or thoughts on the install in question here. Anything is appreciated as I am wanting to make this work right for what the customer wants.

Thanks!!

No sorry not right now, the building is completely standalone with no internet going in so I can't remote in right now. Plus it is 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live.

Okay I have some pictures for you all to look at now...but this site wont let me post links... so here is the old school way,

pwv (dot) nti-llc (dot) net/cameras/

The pics labeled blurry were before I fully focused the cameras, and obviously focused means what I said.

but the quality is just not what I was expecting. They were hoping to be able to make out faces and unless you were right there close to the camera no such luck.

I have video too, but I can't find the Geovision playback codec yet. I am still looking.

You cannot expect facial recognition unless you have an up-close shot. Not going to happen.

Those areas in the shop make me concerned. What happens when the bay doors open up? You get white out. Good luck seeing anything then. Did you put a wide dynamic range camera in those areas?

Im not sure how they expect to make out faces if the camera view is covering a large area, and the cameras are standard analogue cameras.

Take for example the outdoor shot, that is covering a huge area, you only have a maximum of 768(H) x 494(V) (ntsc) or 752(H) x 582(V) (pal) pixels on the camera ccd to play with.

Lets say at a guess the area is 60 foot wide, that would be 720 inches, which would mean

720 inches / 494 pixels = approx 1.45 pixels per foot.

That would roughly mean 1 pixel would have to cover the entire width of a human face.. Not likely to get much facial recognition there....

Similar for height/depth etc..

Thats in a perfect world, there are many factors that will make things even worse than that, such as compression on the DVR, recording at 640x480 (if that is being done), signal loss in cables etc. But even if everything was perfect, there is no way you can get facial recognition on a wide area shot like those.

The shot is just far to big to get anything more than an overview.

You either need to go mega pixel, or get PTZ (with alarm inputs triggered by sensors outside to move the camera to where the intruder is) or more cameras each covering a much smaller area.

If they are experiencing a problem at night, then there is probably insufficient lighting for the camera.

okay thanks for the replies. Guess it is working as expected. Maybe it just looked better on the last install because the PC monitor sucked. So it actually looked clear. These new LCD panels are so defined that I was expecting more than I got.

Sounds like Megapixel cameras are the answer, in which I'd have to pull all new line and I don't think that is going to happen...but you never know.

I will let the customer know.

I think the Geovision card I have is capable of watching IP cameras so that would be really easy to add to the system now. All 8 of the analog ports are in use so no more RG-59 cameras can go in.