richard_h

Megapixel IP Camera are Mbotix D22M-SEC any good

Mobotix

3 Megapixel IP Camera D22M-SEC

Are they any good ?.

would like to get a megapixel ip camera but dont think it has night vision on this model but the night version is only monocrome so not much use in the day time.

or any one got any others to look at

cheers

Rich

Hi cheers for the reply...

The day and night version was going to be quite a lot in the uk they are look at 1200 uk pounds and this was a new project. I like gadgits and always wanted a PTZ to put up but this will do even better. that and i got if for 1/2 the normal price in the uk but need a lense but it is new

So i have it now well its on order . next i need help with the lense as it does not come with one ... well some how my new one does not but the manufacture says it comes with the wide version ...

I am looking to cover my driver this will be mounted on the wall looking down .... the drive is from the house about 15M max. guessing house moung point will be 10m

¦+

¦ +

¦ +

¦ +

¦____15M_________+

XXXXXXX

xx

xx xxxxx

xx xxxx

___x____________

x is car cover that i would like to cover

am i better going for standard wide

or a change like a

L32 Wide-Angle Lens 60° horizontal angle, 45° vertical angle

or

L43 Wide-Angle Lens

45° horizontal angle, 34° vertical angle

The super wide looks like it will cover more then i need

Rich

With a 3MP camera, my vote would be for the L22 lens - wide angle. You should have enough resolution to narrow in on your target.

For comparison, here is a L43 image. The distance between the camera and the closest post (where the rail meets) is 20' or about 6m.

l43_sample.jpg

i just dont want the 22 to soon out to much and then make the objects i want not full

i.e see a good face.

on the main site / information i have seen the 22 make the image look so far away but you can not then use that image and zoom in to have a look

Any one got a 22mm lens or 32 .. my object to cover is 10Meter

with a l22 my total image will be 20m wide as the a 32 it will be 11.5

but with the 22 i would get to cover more road as i live on a dead end

if i am right would a 32 not just look like the view i can get from using my 35mm camera with no zoom to give me an idea ???

Also whats the pic like on that cam at night ... with little / no light

Night is the real test... particularly motion at night.

I've had plenty of cameras that provided excellent pictures during the day, but were absolutely worthless at night. The "low light" cameras that slow down the shutter speed to increase the light gain? Those are fine for static images, but absolutely suck eggs when it comes to anything moving.

Avoid such cameras, otherwise you'll end up with a motion blur that's completely unrecognizable.

Consider adding supplemental light sources if you really need to see at night.

Avoid such cameras, otherwise you'll end up with a motion blur that's completely unrecognizable.

Agreed. Unfortunately, many manufacturers confuse the issue by specifying low light lux values without specifying the shutter speed. That low lux value in the data sheet may look promising, but without a shutter speed, it may be 2 seconds, which is useless for motion.

Best,

Christopher

Agreed. Unfortunately, many manufacturers confuse the issue by specifying low light lux values without specifying the shutter speed. That low lux value in the data sheet may look promising, but without a shutter speed, it may be 2 seconds, which is useless for motion.

Best,

Christopher

That's exactly right. Without a shutter speed, you have no idea how long that shutter is open. Ever seen those funky "freeway at night" pictures? Here's a good example:

calosa102web.jpg

The reason you're seeing the funky motion effect in that picture (eg. blurred lines instead of discrete car headlights/tail-lights) is because the shutter speed used in that picture was too slow to capture the action. Hence, the light "smears" across the film instead of showing up as a discrete pinpoint. A CCTV camera with an artificially low shutter speed (to gather more light) will do exactly the same thing, rendering any object in motion as nothing more than a smear across your monitor.

Hi

Well i will soon find out as i got the camera now just waiting for the poe then i am all set to play

This is the Lux details ......

Color: 1 lux (t=1/60 s), 0,05 lux (t=1/1 s)

Am i going to see a blur or will it be ok ?

the light from the road is good ... i can go out at midnight and i can read from from a paper when holding it and reading with the light behind me

i am to the side off the light so it will be to the side off the camera.

Rich

That camera will not work well for motion at night. Look at the shutter speed difference in those lux ratings:

1/60 versus 1/1

The latter is a very slow shutter speed; an entire second, if I'm reading it correctly. This will result in better low-light images (hence the lower lux rating), but very poor low-light motion images.

this is what happens when you dont know what you looking at.

I have the camera and the Poe today and have stuck it in the window.....

Not impressed with the image does not look 3mp but i need to play with the settings.

the night time wish it was better but guess i will find out more when i have it up outside

I have it on the window looking out and yes the pic is dark .. it looks on the camera like what you can see yourself.

The problem i have with changing / getting a different camera is that its not my house and a normal looking camera i can't not put up well unless it small.. Parents dont like the idea but the small dome was ideal and looks good and very small, Does not stand out like a standard camera would.

Richard

Anyone got one that can offer some setting advice the picture has lines down it and at 3mp does not look like i would expect or can get from my camera phone when set to 3 mp

its dark now but need to get this sorted before i put the cam up outside.

I have the L22 lense as they was said to be better for me cover more area and still be sharp...

I'd just add some extra outside lighting... that's your easiest and cheapest route to go. Virtually ANY camera works better with more light, and you'll avoid the slower shutter speed problem. It doesn't have to be daylight-bright, since most of these cameras will automatically slow the shutter speed a little bit as the available light drops. You may only need a few floodlights to substantially improve your image quality.

A 3MP image should look pretty stinking good... it might be the monitor you're using to view the image. Have you looked at it on a higher resolution monitor? I usually have my desktop set at 1280x1024, and even that won't begin to show a full 3MP (2048 x 1536) Mobotix MEGA image.

*********** Edit *************

And mismatch between LCDs and the image your DVR is putting out is a frequent cause of bad image quality. There's often nothing wrong with the image once it's on a regular CRT monitor.

Hi well its still early days .. not ued it much only got the poe today so could not power it up.

I will spend some time with it tomorrow .. got loads a setting i can change.

My pc monitor is 1050x1600 and i have a full 1080 TV ... it all very new and never have the fun to use a i/p camera.

I am hoping that my linited time i got in the day light was just down to the setting and the cam looking through the window.

more fun tomorrow...

I am hoping that the 3pm wont let me down as the system / camera is very very expensive. not hat i would have wanted to pay the RRP.

it all started when i got the old system from work and some old cams... that was not good enough and then this D22-Sec 3mp was in my price range.

with it not been my house i have to convince parents for some more light ... or live with a 1/2 or 1/2 speed as thats ok.

Just need to check if you can get reg plate / face from the captured image

well still not over impressed ... going to order the L32 as the 22 is not working for me ..

I cant get the cam to see a number plate on a car that 25m away yet on a 3mp phone camera i can take a pic and zoom in and read this no problem.

i dont think it down to the moniter as when i view my pic from my phone that is in a different world in quality.

its almost live i am viewing a vga pic when you zoom in but all the setting are set to 3mp

I have even started do think i had a vga not 3mp version

Edited by Guest

Hi

Its night now and ... well not very good .. i will try and do some tomorrow.

but be good to see some others people views

or pics from 3mp camera.

i am just hoping that when i get a L32 and change it from the L22 it will be so much better or will be another £60 wasted

Are you taking images by shooting through a glass window? If so, I would test by opening the window especially at night.

The camera is inside the house as i have not had time to get it up outside.

Through glass will never be as good but just have not had the wow factor i would expect from 3mp

the night time is not good but then again its a day camera i was just hoping for more going on the price it should have been.

I now have 2 options...

put the camera up for sale and see if i can get my cash back and then get somthing better but that could work out very expensive as this camera is about £700 and i have to keep it small and neet a normal looking camers is not what i want to put up and this was ideal as it very small

or install this camera then see about getting a camera for night time only but then i will have 2 up and would have liked just the one camera.

adding more like would be cheap but not somthing i can add ... not my house so thats why i need to keep it small.