alpine0000

help with installing dome cameras under eave

So I've decided that I want to buy a handful of the panasonic 484 domes to mount under the eaves outside.

I've never mounted a camera under an eave (I'm just a hobbiest), and was looking under my eaves today and peeking through the perforations with a flashlight, and I can't see any studs to screw into behind the eave panels. When I look through the little perforated holes with a flashlight, it's about a 6" gap up to what looks like a wood "roof" panel. I could be wrong though... I followed the panel down about 5 or 6 feet with a flashlight.

So, to those of you with experience, how would I mount the cameras to the eave when the plastic panels are just hollow above? I don't want to cut big holes in the panels to flush mount the domes, I just want them surface mounted.

Does anybody have any links with install pictures, or advice for me?

Here is what my eave looks like:

109357_2.jpg

110592_2.jpg

98411_1.jpg

Those panels will pop out, and you can see what is up there.

You can get some 2X4s, or what have you, and you can nail them to your rafters to make a mounting point for your domes.

Find a long "stick", or a rod. Stick the stick/rod up in to the attic. Climb up in to the attic, and connect your wiring to the stick/rod with electrical tape. Get down out of the attic, and then pull the rod out of the attic, and the wire will follow. Cut a hole through the soffit, and push the wire through. Place the soffit back in place. Install your connectors on the wiring, and install your cams on the mounting point, and you should be good to go!

Do you have room to move around in the attic space above the area where you are mounting the cameras?

i do have room in the attic to do anything i need to do.

now i just need to figure out how to get these darn plastic panels off without bending the aluminum parts up too much around them...

any tricks or suggestions?

thanks scorp!

Under your gutter I am going to guess that there is metal flashing that is L shaped, and the soffit sits on top of this, and it may be stapled in to the trusses.

Find some nails on the flashing, and remove them. You will need to go one nail past where you will be working to the left, and to the right.

Take your hands with one with palms up, and one with palms down, and curl your fingers, and then interlock them. This is how the soffits are connected together.

When you have the flashing removed then you can slide the soffit away from the house.

You can also man handle them since they are plastic, and you can force them out.

hey scorpion, you are correct, there is an L shaped metal flashing, but i do not see any nails on it that i can remove. perhaps the fasteners are behind the gutter?

i dont wanna remove my gutter

98478_1.jpg

sometimes they put them in with metal clips above/in the attic and leave one out every 4-6 feet. then only one will pop out and you reach in and take the clip out and take out the next one and so on.

sometimes they put them in with metal clips above/in the attic and leave one out every 4-6 feet. then only one will pop out and you reach in and take the clip out and take out the next one and so on.

thank you for the suggestion. i will get on my ladder and take a look at that this weekend

On some styles I can just grab the flashing, and bend them towards the ground, and pull the soffit out. It can be a bear trying to get the soffit back in as you have to hold the flashing down while you try to shove the soffit back in.