Squiffy

Rebadged DVRs

I'm curious as to which makes are effectively just the same but rebadged? For example, my Safe-Core DVR400M appears to be almost identical to a Swann model.

You probably won't get many responses to this question. Most manufactures(aka resellers) re-badge an import of some sort as to mask the original manufacture so that dealers and distribution hubs don't go directly to the manufacture and buy direct. As a long time veteran in this industry, I will tell you that 'most' of them that are sold online are exactly what you are describing.

Thanks for the reply, I was pretty sure that was the case with just cosmetic changes and firmware editing being the differences.

Part of the reason for my question is related to another query I have made here regarding obtaining a remote for my Safe-Core PVR. Neither Safe-Core or Swann responded to my emails on this, so it would be nice to know if there's a known remote control code sequence (for universal remotes) that could be used from another manufacturer.

Path of least resistance for you is to go up through the chain of how you bought it.

Unless you bought it second hand. If so then can you contact the original seller to see where they bought it.

Swann is definately not going to help you with a product that did not come through their chain.

If it is that difficult to track down a remote then I would imagine you could track down an owner of one, and send them a programable remote, and have them teach the codes, and give you a sheet with what commands are what buttons on the programmable remote.

I do not know if you could find a volunteer to do this or not.

It was brand new from Maplin Electronics but discounted as it was old stock. A (supposedly) cloned remote control for it was for sale online from a third party, which I bought but it failed to work.

My enquiry to Swann was more broadly questioned - just asking if they had any remote code for their products which would be suitable for use in a universal remote. I wasn't too suprised I didn't get a reply from either them or Safe-Core.

Obviously tracking down a user willing to help in that way is extremely, er, remote but I was hoping there would be some generic/OEM names cited that I could try.