sexydadee

What is video loop out and how does it work?

Think of a restaurant such as Chilis, Carraba's, Applebee's ect.

I can run a camera feed from the "carside parking" to a DVR. This is the area where you call ahead to make an order, and you park, and they bring the food out to you.

I have a monitor in carside employee area that needs a video feed. I do not want to use the DVR monitor output as this would give me a multi channel feed of all of the cameras. I can use the carside camera "loop out" on the back of the DVR so that the monitor shows the carside parking area only on this monitor.

Some people would take the camera feed, and connect it to the monitor which is a short run, and use the monitors loop out to take this feed back to the DVR.

I choose not to go this route as someone might disconnect the camera feed from the monitor on purpose, or accident, or they might disconnect the loop out feed by accident.

I want the camera to be recorded then I want to send the video back to the monitor.

Some people may laugh as I have to run two coax instead of one. It does not cost anymore in labor to run two coaxes verses one coax. So labor arguments do not work.

You could do anything that you want with a loopout. I can take a camera loopout, and connect it to an encoder, and get one camera on the internet, and embed this video into a website.

For a large night club I have 16 cameras that go back to a DVR in a main office of the owner. I then have 8 wires from the loop outs going back to a "managers" office. These 8 feeds are then plugged in to a 8 channel multiplexor. The manager can watch whatever camera he wants, and the owner can watch what ever camera he wants. The owner sees 16 cameras, and the manager only see 8. The owner does not want the manager, and the employees to know that there are more cameras.

Edited by Guest

It simply provides an additional output to use as you wish.

Video cable usually uses 75 ohm cable (and output stages), so it's important to retain the same impedance. Therefore it's not a good idea to simply have a "Y" connector on the output to feed into another device because if they're both 75 ohm impedance, the load will be 37.5 ohms. A loop through option makes it easier to couple the video signal to additional devices, if needed.

So does it follow that if your dvr has a video loop out, you also have a matrix?

if my dvr has an IP capability, do i still need the video loop out or can i set which camera goes to what monitor in the software?

thanks

You would need to give us your definition of the word Matrix.

The loop outs are independent video feeds.

You can hook a matrix device up to those independent video feeds, and have another monitor that you can choose which camera you would like to see.

On the DVR you should have a built in matrix. You should be able to see a multi screen, or you can choose 1,2,3, or 4 (or more) to see the camera in full screen.

You internet connection is a different video separate from the analog signalas. You can see the cameras by watching a computer rather than a TV.