I made my own rg59 siamese cable, and for the life of me I can't get this camera to work.

I am using some "premium" rg59 compression connectors for video, and your basic cheap crimp on power connectors.

The cable length is around 60 feet, so nothing to extreme there. The power seems ok, as I have tested that with a volt meter and I'm getting around 12.6v

How do I know if I have a good connection on the bnc connector? Do I simply do a continuity test, or do I check something else? Furthermore, any good instructions out there on how to properly do these compression connectors? Maybe I'm screwing up something.

Take a TV set that has the yellow video, or a composite video input, and take it out to your camera. Plug the camera in to the TV.

If you have video then this tells us the power supply is good, the wiring is good, and the camera is operational.

This means the problem is the video leaving the camera, and going to it's destination.

If you do not have video then it is power supply, the wiring, or the camera is not operational.

Power must be tested in with the camera plugged in. The voltage has to be tested with a load. If you just hook a meter up to the wires you are only measuring the voltage unloaded. In other words the camera could draw enough power, and the guage of the wire could cause the voltage to go below the operation level of what the camera needs to work.

I plugged the camera into another cable that has a working camera on it, and the camera itself works perfect. I am sure it's the cable.

I checked the voltage going through the cable to ensure I crimped it right and it's not shorting. This is the first rg59 cable I've made.

I think the problem may be on the video connector of the cable, but not sure how to test that I have a secure and ideal connection.

a simple test would be to use a continuity tester. touch one lead to center pin and the other to the outside. do this to both sides. continuity here is bad, means you have a short, redo one or both sides. when that test is good, test center pin on one side to center pin on other side, this time you want continuity. no continuity means open redo one or both ends, when that is good test outside to outside, you want continuity again. now if you redo any ends, test all again to make sure you have it right.

Easier still, test continuity from center pin to shield ground first with both ends disconnected. If there is no continuity, purposely short from center pin to shield on one end and test continuity at the other. If there is continuity then, you are good to go.

thanks for the help.. I wasn't sure if it was JUST continuity, or if there was a way to check ohm's readings or anything like that...

I got it working though, I put new connectors on - stripped more of the center core... Thanks for the help..