cctvnewbie

OH NO! AXIS 207MW Lens assembly has come apart...

Hi guys, there is a clear design issue with this camera...in this case, the lens assembly. It came apart while I was turning the focus ring. Not good

Anyway, I, like some others on the axis support forum, have tried to put the assembly back together, but failed. The image is blurry at best...and I have tried alot of combinations of the idividual lens elements.

The AXIS help desk team are not helping by just saying sorry, over a year old so can not help.

So can anyone help? Perhaps suggest...

1) How I can get a new lens.

2) The sequence of assembling the lens?

Surely some of you guys must have a broken 207MW that you can get a lens assembly from and post it to me? I'd be more than happy to pay a reasonable amount for it and shipping.

It's absolutely crazy to throw away a $400 camera because a $10 lens fell apart!

HELP!

Andrew

Australia.

I did the same thing but was under the 1 year mark.............Axis replaced it.......

I tried to reinstall the lenses but it was a mess..............at best.

You can replace the lense with other like lenses out there.............you just have to try a few here and there.......

Axis won't sell you a replacement lense?

they use board lenses you just need to make a holder -hit the lathe.

I did notice the Axis lenses have heavy IR filtering\coatings built in.

A normal board lens will work if you replace it but the color balance will go nuts.

so yes....... might need a original

I did try a lense and it worked but the color was effected. If I had time I'd find the right lense that corrected the IR coating

good luck

IF you have a spare "hot mirror"/IR filter it will work.

there is space in there for it !

I actually converted a 206 to full IR with a 16mm lens works great !

z

GREAT NEWS!

I spent a few days going methodically through the combinations and I got it to work!

Huge thankyou goes to all the team there at Axis who had offered to help me out in a time of need! They had taken it to the country manager and out of pitty for me (and goodwill on their part) were going to provide a replacement lens for me AT NO COST - I just needed to pay for the shipping which on UPS would have been over $100AUD..but hey - that's very kind of them. I would certainly have taken them up on the offer (at my courier cost) if I'd not gotten it working tonight.

I'll most certainly purchase further Axis products. No hesitation.

I even updated to the latest firmware 4.44 and changed a few things like image low light max gain (now 10.5) and the picture and frame rate is better than it ever was! So happy!

I put up some pictures on photobucket to help anyone else who has this issue in the future. It is only the first few parts of the inside of the lens ...there are another 3 or 4 elements in addition to the ones shown that I did not remove (incl. the rear IR filter - I think that's what it is anyway). But it's better than nothing and likely will only be these first parts that fall out.

Needless to say you need to make sure you clean the lens elements carefully.

link to the elements inside the 207MW lens and their correct order

Hope this helps someone avoid my issues!

Edited by Guest

IF you have a spare "hot mirror"/IR filter it will work.

there is space in there for it !

I actually converted a 206 to full IR with a 16mm lens works great !

z

Hmm, how did you do that? I've got a 207MW which sucks in low light. Is it as simple as unscrewing the lens like cctvnewbie did, and removing the ir filter? I'd imagine daytime video would look bad though?