We have a camera trailer we have built from a salvaged sign trailer. Right now we can take it to a site where the site camera has gone down, plug it into the cabinet and xmt/rcv video and ptz through the site camera fiber equipment.

We will be adding solar panels so that we will not be restricted to ac sources and would like to be free from fiber as well. Since the area we cover is quite large (metroplex) with hills, trees, city buildings, etc., los radios are out. Has anyone here tried or used satellite for ptz/video xmt/rcv? How was the bandwidth? As long as I'm asking for pie, are there any equipment providers that also include gps since I'd hate for our trailer to be stolen?

sats are expensive and slow and latency ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

big bucks to send video up -and big antenna

whats it for news ?

sats are NOT slow if you buy the right equipment. If your talking TV type sat. your dealing with COTS and that is $60 a month deal.

ALL data of ALL sorts is relayed via Satellite ALL over the world.......and it's just another 1 or zero in terms of digital data.

$$$ drive quality in the satcom world..............spend enough and you'll have a T1, D1, or better in your lap anywhere you want it.

I am a old Satcom technicial from the USMC. I was trained to set it up, maintain it, and operate it..anytime or place. Will & I used to do special ops stuff together out of a unit called JCSE in MacDill AFB Florida. Will is in on the best technology available because he is the best. He don't care how much it costs because his clients are looking for the best and are not weary of the price. Not bragg'n............jst letting ya know that Will is not Directway satcom.not even close. He can sell you a package the size of a small suitcase that will rock speed & quality.all via a small portable dish. Or, he can let you use his cell phone for free......

The broke-down retired MSgt 2891 thanks you all. This is for a state DOT. Just getting info for now since the state claims we are broke.

VST_Man, that $60 a month deal sounds pretty awesome compared to what we are paying for ISDN at a few sites where we do not have fiber.

2891.....hummmmmmmmmm

I am a broke down 2805, former 2802, 2834, 2818. did mostly 7thcommbn & 8thcommbn's, 2nd yatyas, a stint in Bridgeport, and ofcourse the MacDill seabagdrag.

I have a feeling I may know of you or even worse, you may know me.....

reguardless, semperfi and if you need anything I'm here....

yes prices have gotten better.......I'm paying 90 a month for a 8meg down with a 2 meg up on a comcast line........that kinda bandwidth a few years back was crazy expensive. now it's a buyers market....since many lease the big pipes and competition keeps pricing bandwidth down.

I was talking broadcast quality MPEG . not joe internet.

I'm also an `ex`Satellite tech for a large Telco.

An E1 uplink would be 1 trillion dollars here !

Oh, I thought we were talking data................not High Def...

I want it all for 10 bucks

An E1 uplink would be 1 trillion dollars here !

I remember a time when that use to be a lot of money...

sats are NOT slow if you buy the right equipment. If your talking TV type sat. your dealing with COTS and that is $60 a month deal.

Maybe the bandwidth would be acceptable but latency would be off the scale. Think about the delays you often see in live newscasts that are satellite-fed versus local. You are probably talking about anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds of latency on the video. Control would be the same issue, but the latency would probably double since you have it on both the video and the control signals.

You've probably already gone this route but... Have you talked to the local 2-way radio guys and the Wireless ISP guys? They would know your best option for reliable connectivity in your area. My guess is for a well rounded solution you will need to gear-up for "all of the above" options.

How about posting some pics and info about your trailer?

We have a concept project for a "communications trailer" that could deploy temporary voice/data/video in remote or emergency situations. But considering our local demographics we can't seem to formulate a solid plan for a realistic return on investment. --hence the concept part.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's ideas on selling services with this type of equipment.