TastyHuman

IP recording for rural home, dedicated NVR or PC based?

It wasn't clear if this post belonged in the IP section or dedicated DVR section so please move it if it's in the wrong place.

I'm a newbie and will be installing up to 16 IP cameras in and around our rural home and am looking for a video recording solution to meet our needs. Of course we need to view video from home and from remote locations over the internet.

A drop-in, hassle free, reliable solution would be ideal.

I could build up a computer and futz around with various packages to build it up but I do that stuff all day long for work and it's pretty much the last thing I want to mess around with after hours. For this reason a dedicated NVR is very appealing, but a turnkey Non-Windows PC-based software solution that was as reliable as the hardware it ran on would be considered.

I'd like to keep maybe 30 days of storage and have the option of copying significant video events to backup devices if/when required. The cameras would normally record at a very slow frame rate and then record at full motion when motion is detected. Cameras would be in the Axis 221/225FD class.

Given these customer desires what sort of solutions would you folks with experience recommend? Price is always an object but I'm not expecting a dirt cheap solution. Something in the $2-$3k range maybe.

http://www.nuuo.com/nvrmini.php

It can not do the ramp recording with this device. Your options are record all the time or record on motion (camera motion). Only NVR software that I know of that can do ramp recording is AXIS Camera Station and OnSSI/Milestone both of which will be out of your budget with the hardware.

I can get you one with 16 channels. I am assuming your budget of 2-3K is for the NVR only.

It can not do the ramp recording with this device. Your options are record all the time or record on motion (camera motion). Only NVR software that I know of that can do ramp recording is AXIS Camera Station and OnSSI/Milestone both of which will be out of your budget with the hardware.

I can get you one with 16 channels. I am assuming your budget of 2-3K is for the NVR only.

Thanks for the response. The nuuo device link says it can only support 4-8 cameras.

I just threw the $2-3k out there as a figure, it could go higher if needed.

I like Axis camera station but since it's windows based I wanted to avoid it. There was a Windows based NVR I looked at it and it advertised "scheduled reboot" as a feature. Talk about dressing up a bug to look like a feature.

Thanks for the response. The nuuo device link says it can only support 4-8 cameras.

I just threw the $2-3k out there as a figure, it could go higher if needed.

I like Axis camera station but since it's windows based I wanted to avoid it. There was a Windows based NVR I looked at it and it advertised "scheduled reboot" as a feature. Talk about dressing up a bug to look like a feature.

The NUUO box can do 16 channels.... I would not go with Axis Camera Station... What happens if you need to use a camera from another manufacture..... Axis Camera Station only works with Axis cameras

Use ILDVR H.264 IP Camera, price ranges from $150 to $200, hybrid server software supports up to 64ch IP camera.

How averse are you to "rolling your own" with COTS hardware?

If spending a few $k saves a weekend of initial assembly and configuration, a month of debug, updating, and fiddling to get everything working just right, and a warranty with some initial support help if needed I'd rather spend the dough.

I've been looking at ZM but there are enough problems reported there that I'm inclined not to mess with it. Many problems there aren't the fault of ZM, but a lot of time can be burned by screwing around until the magic formula for fixing them is found.

WHY NOT JUST THE DVR. ARE THE CABLE RUN FAR. ITS GOING TO BE RUNNING AND RUNNING ALL THE TIME SO YOU'LL BE BUYING HDD'S ABOUT, MAYBE IN 5 YEARS. I LIKE THE GE DVRMe'S, BUT I DON'T NO THE PRICES OF THEM. YOU CAN INTERNET RIGHT IN TO THEM WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR IP ALL THE TIME

Take a look at Exacq software for the recording. You can do a version of the time lapse/ speedup with it, and they have a Linux version, as well. It's quite a bit less than Milestone, and has a lot of the same functionality.

ZM is a nice product, but Exacq is a commercial product, with people that will pick up the phone if you need them.

I've only done a few installs with it so far, compared to lots with Milestone, but it is shaping up pretty well. The remote access is a little slower in that it has to download/ buffer a chunk of video before playing.

dont knock Axis camera station ! I use it everywhere on XP its stable, and on motion detect 1Tb HDD goes a long way.

z

dont knock Axis camera station ! I use it everywhere on XP its stable, and on motion detect 1Tb HDD goes a long way.

z

It's not Axis Camera Station software I worry about, it's Windows. Windows is the weak link on any PC running Windows.

Nuuo is out of the running since it only supports remote browsing with IE.

The Exacq software looks very interesting.

Ive only got 1 camera running atm in a test setup but Exacq seems to be pretty good.

Remote access can be done via webbbrowser, or their client software.

I've accessed it on a 512K adsl link with the client and found it to be quite responsive.

Pricing was a lot better than some others I have compared.

While its an hybrid system analogue/IP they have a new embedded Linux version that you may be interested in. Its not shown on website yet.

http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvision-brochure-0409.pdf

z

It's not Axis Camera Station software I worry about, it's Windows. Windows is the weak link on any PC running Windows.

Nuuo is out of the running since it only supports remote browsing with IE.

The Exacq software looks very interesting.

Exacq runs on Linux, if that's what you're after.

Ph34r teh penguin.

Ive only got 1 camera running atm in a test setup but Exacq seems to be pretty good.

Remote access can be done via webbbrowser, or their client software.

I've accessed it on a 512K adsl link with the client and found it to be quite responsive.

Pricing was a lot better than some others I have compared.

While its an hybrid system analogue/IP they have a new embedded Linux version that you may be interested in. Its not shown on website yet.

http://www.exacq.com/downloads/exacqvision-brochure-0409.pdf

When you say remote access can be done by web browser, does it work with firefox?

Have used in firefox yes, but only very quickly at a friends place just to view. Something I have to find more time to play with.

According to spec sheet:

COMPATIBILITY:

Windows Explorer

Firefox

Apple Safari

Opera

Google Chrome