stuspick

Modulator to use with Digital cable box

I'm setting up a camera system in my house and want to buy a modulator so I can see the video feed on every tv in the house. The problem is I have digital cable boxes (Rogers) on some tv's and not sure if the modulator will work through it. Any ideas? What modulator will work?

If you look through your channel lineup (with the on-screen program guide), you should see a channel labeled "SECURITY" or "CAMERA" or something similar... with my Shaw Cable/Motorola boxes, for example, it shows on channel 116 - channel name SECAM, program description "Security Camera". That means Shaw leaves a "hole" in their programming on 116 for just such a modulator.

The trick, for you, is to find out what channel Rogers reserves for that purpose, and get a modulator that will use that channel.

If some TVs *don't* use the digital box, and don't have the proper cable-ready tuners, you may need a second one that will use the standard channels 3 or 4 to feed those TVs.

In any case, the trick is that the modulator must insert between the incoming feed and the first splitter, so it gets split out to all feeds in the house. Other than that, there should be no problems.

If you look through your channel lineup (with the on-screen program guide), you should see a channel labeled "SECURITY" or "CAMERA" or something similar... with my Shaw Cable/Motorola boxes, for example, it shows on channel 116 - channel name SECAM, program description "Security Camera". That means Shaw leaves a "hole" in their programming on 116 for just such a modulator.

The trick, for you, is to find out what channel Rogers reserves for that purpose, and get a modulator that will use that channel.

If some TVs *don't* use the digital box, and don't have the proper cable-ready tuners, you may need a second one that will use the standard channels 3 or 4 to feed those TVs.

In any case, the trick is that the modulator must insert between the incoming feed and the first splitter, so it gets split out to all feeds in the house. Other than that, there should be no problems.

Hmm Modulator may or may not pass "digital channels" signal

right ?

Hmm Modulator may or may not pass "digital channels" signal

right ?

I don't see why not... digital channels, as well as internet and "digital phone", are still analog-encoded for transport over the cable in the first place. Your only concern might be that the modulator passes enough bandwidth for your carrier's entire range, but AFAIK that range is regulated (CRTC, FCC, etc.) to within a certain frequencies anyway, so as long as the modulator passes that entire range (which I'd think any would unless it was poorly designed or built) there should be no issue.

Another problem I discovered are my digital boxes are digital only and don't have an analogue tuner.

What cable boxes is Rogers using these days?

Like I say, look through your onscreen program guide and see if there's a "Security Camera" channel... if there is, this method should be supported.

The other thing you could do is contact Rogers and ask them if it's supported with your specific box(es).

This is what I did for my home setup.

1. Ran another RG6 to every TV I wanted to see the cameras on and terminated it in the antenna input.

2. Installed the modulator before it split into the digital feed. Hooked up RG6 to modulator. Bypassing the digital all together.

So the antenna input is analog and I can view my cameras (channels 100-106). Put the digital feed (component video) on another input on your TV (Video2 example)

Someone knocks on the door while your watching the game, just hit the input button to antenna and you can see whos at the door! If its the pizza guy answer it, if its some kid selling something FORGET ABOUT IT!!

The hardest part was running the extra RG6 to the TVs and fishing the wall. Oh yea, I had to buy a low pass filter to clean up the picture. Good Luck!!

This is what I did for my home setup.

1. Ran another RG6 to every TV I wanted to see the cameras on and terminated it in the antenna input.

2. Installed the modulator before it split into the digital feed. Hooked up RG6 to modulator. Bypassing the digital all together.

So the antenna input is analog and I can view my cameras (channels 100-106). Put the digital feed (component video) on another input on your TV (Video2 example)

Someone knocks on the door while your watching the game, just hit the input button to antenna and you can see whos at the door! If its the pizza guy answer it, if its some kid selling something FORGET ABOUT IT!!

The hardest part was running the extra RG6 to the TVs and fishing the wall. Oh yea, I had to buy a low pass filter to clean up the picture. Good Luck!!

Running a second cable is out of the question for me. How do you think the picture would look if I split the cable at the TV. One goes to digital box and the other to Antenna input.

It wouldn't work.

Aside from reducing the signal level, why not?

In theory, this should work, but I'd start with the assumption that the the digital box will handle the analog tuning fine. Unless there's something that specifically states the box is digital ONLY, there's no reason to think it wouldn't do analog as well, especially since most cable companies (including Rogers, AFAIK) still carry both.

I was told by my cable provider (COX Communications) that it wouldn't work with digital cable. The channels available on my Channel Vision modulator were 65-135, which were all occupied by digital cable channels. Regular analog cable only went to channel 71 or something freeing up channels 72-135. Then again it was 5 years ago when I installed the cameras so its been a while, memory is a little fuzzy. I don't know if it would of worked or not (cable tech support is shady at best) I knew my other option would work, so I did it that way, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Splitting the 1 cable won't be a problem IF the signal strength is strong enough for the digital box. With digital, it's all or nothing. Just make sure you use a professional splitter. The cheap ones that you find at most local electronics stores aren't very good. Rule of thumb is heavier the better. If it's real light, it's cheap.

If your digital box starts getting a broken signal or some channels no longer tune in, you'll need an amp at the housebox.

The biggest trick is getting a modulator tuned to a channel that is not being used. You can't "double-up" on a channel. It has to be either not there or filtered out.

Digital channels do not translate into analog channels. Totally different frequencies. Plug directly into the TV and flip through to find open channels. On the Modulator side, you're not "passing through" the cable signal. You're "tapping" into it. Same sort of config as the TV splitter but instead of a "splitter" you're using a "combiner".