mycctv

installing new home security cam... recommendations pls.

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I am planning to install a home security cam. but I'm not sure which products to go with. I'd be most interested if someone could point me to a complete system ready to install, or at least buy all the parts from one sourcel.

Things I want to have are: ease of use, DVR should start recording when there is motion detected; reliability, quality and parts should work well with long life, and ability to handle weather like snow or rain, etc.; video quality should be high, like if it is burned to DVD, the quality should look DVD quality. clear, sharp, recognizable facial detail. too often I've seen other's home cameras look nice on the monitor, but the recording just looks terrible.

Also, I've been trying to find a step by step video on how to install the camera, how to find the best place to mount etc. I only will set up to watch the front door, so it should be very simple.

Currently I was looking at:

a DVR from worldeyecam, the H.264 High Resolution 4 CH H.264 Stand alone DVR mouse controlled

and the worldeyecam MB-530IR36 Weather Proof Day/Night Bullet Security Camera 530TV lines

but I don't know the actual quality of the products. Does anyone have experience with these products? What do you recommend? Also, what else is needed to run the security cam and recording the video?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link,

but there's too many models to choose from... Which ones in specific will match what I'm looking for? High quality (like DVD quality) video, and reliable?

I've been looking around this forum and was reading about scanlines as being important when choosing a DVR and camera and also compression codec... Which DVR has the highest quality codec, I don't want to lose video fidelity when recording? How many scanlines will provide DVD or better quality? Does anyone have a screenshot or image sample they can post so I can see which model is good?

h.264 is the best your going to get as far as compression is concerned.

When you're talking about high quality video and recording you'll have to look at the resolution the dvr and cameras have seperately from one another as they'd have different specs for each piece of gear. For example, you may have a camera that has 420 horizontal "scan" lines of resolution which is equal to a 420p hd tv in resolution, however if your dvr can only record at 320 it doesnt matter what that camera is...you'll only get the 320 which is like a non hd tv.

You state teh camera your looking at has 530 horizontal lines of rez, what of the dvr...again don't wait until you get the equipment to verify your dvr is even capable of recording at that resolution. The thing that is on your side in this instance is that most good surveillance system dvrs are capable of recording at different frame rates which will allow for better resolutions with slower frames.

Even though it sounds like it wouldn't matter, youd be better of getting a motion activated CAMERA vs a dvr whose recording is motion activated because while youd spend more on the cameras, the overall cost of the system should be nicer to your wallet.

I'd also suggest a camera that has area masking since you're talking about motion detection as area masking will allow the camera to "ignore" motion in predesignated areas so you avoid hours of needless recording.

I do have a question for you though, if you're only planning to use one camera....why waste the money on a complete system? I'd suggest you check into an IP camera as you could literally set it up where you want and then plug it into your pc and go about yuor business as if you'd have bought the complete system. It seems your chief concern with buying this system is ease of use and I doubt anyone here would argue that it gets any simpler than an IP camera. You might just want to check out a couple. With a good IP camera you'd get the motion activation like you want, the area masking I suggest, and the ability to view the video online from anywhere like any good stand alone dvr would allow you to do.

Just something to think about! You may end up spending 400 on a good IP camera, but how much is that 4 channel system you're looking at now? From your current description of use the only added benefit to the complete system with the stand alone dvr is the ability to add 3 more cameras. IP camera software will generally allow up to 16.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was an IP camera.

Looking into that, is there a good battery operated wireless IP camera?

Also, if using an IP camera, does that mean the computer is always on and recording? Could my neighbor's get the wireless signal and view the camera too?

Edit:

Searching about IP cameras, and thinking about running the computer all the time, and possibility of virus or hacker damaging the files, it will be more cost effective for me to run a standalone system. later I may add additional cameras.

If I get a wireless camera, I see there's a power adapter, are there battery packs available? I'm thinking if I have a wireless camera that can operate on a battery, I don't have to drill all the way thru the wall and fiddle with wires to get the camera working. just mount it and go.

So, do you think that the equipment sold by worldeyecam is reliable and worth the money? will the quality be good enough...

also, for the installation side, to watch the front door, where is the best place to mount the cam so i can also get a clear view of the visitor's face? What tools are generally needed to install a camera, and how much time is normal to do it?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

To give you an exact answer on if the equipment from worldeyecam is reliable/worth the investment I'd have to know the exact system you're looking to get.

With an IP camera if you're running an unsecured network anyone can get into your system regardless of if you have your surviellance system hooked into it at all. The question is...why on gods green earth would any hacker want to watch your front door? As far as home surveillance goes, and this goes against my usual suggestions, worrying about a hacker is your last concern.

With most wireless cameras you'll get all the necessary equipment needed to have it function properly including the battery packs. If a supplier wants you to buy the battery packs for it without offering them with the cameras your getting....I'd suggest looking else where.

As far as setup goes you should only need a drill with the apropriate drill bit and time. Id also suggest getting a stud finder as it can save you time and ensure your cameras are secured in place by being screwed into a stud vs just the dry wall. It doesnt take me more than 10 min to throw up a 4ch wireless system, but I've been doing it for while, so your time may vary. If your comfortable with a drill then you should be fine.

As far as mounting the outside camera to see the visitors face, you'll never get a perfect shot of the face without putting the camera within reaching distance of the person at the door, which I dont suggest. Have you considered looking into getting a PEEP HOLE CAMERA? The person at the door wouldnt even know the camera was there. This type of camera would give you the absolute best view of the person at your door and it would be a cheap alternative to a weatherproof/tamper proof outdoor camera.

Another thing to consider with a standalone system- the best draw to most of these systems is that they can be viewed from anywhere via an internet connection if properly set up. So you'll either have to worry about hackers anyway, but again for home surveillance this threat is minimal, or you'll be spending extra money for functionality you never plan to use.

Thanks this is very informative. As for the system I'm looking at, so far I think this will be good (My posts are too few so I'm not allowed to add urls yet, but typing these in the search will pull up those products.):

a DVR from worldeyecam, the H.264 High Resolution 4 CH H.264 Stand alone DVR mouse controlled

Wired Camera--and the worldeyecam MB-530IR36 Weather Proof Day/Night Bullet Security Camera 530TV lines

Wireless Camera-- WEC 24GHZ Wireless Color Infrared Audio Security Camera

or IP7152 Vivotek Progressive Scan CCD Network Camera Day/Night Varifocal Lens - Wireless

For the IP Cameras, does it have to hook into another computer... or can I hook it to a dvr for direct recording? And from the specifications, can you tell whether or not they have battery pack for the wireless cam?

[/b]

Hi I took a look at that website, most of those systmes seem to have lower horizontal scanlines than what I was looking for.

After researching a little more I'm looking at these components:

WJS-4RTA Enterprise Class Digital Video Recorder

* Hardware & Performance H.264 Hardware Compression

* Pentaplex - Live/Playback/Record/Backup/Remote Access

* Embedded Linux RTOS for reliability

* High Performance Embedded Microprocessor and Texas Instruments DSPs for performance

* Real-Time Record at 2CIF

* Can be configured for 15 FPS/channel record at 4CIF (D1)

* Sync'd Audio on all channels

* VOIP

* 2 USB 2.0 Ports - 1 for mouse, 1 for USB HDD, CDRW, DVDRW, flash drive backup

* Internal DVD-RW writer

* 6 SATA Hard Drives Bays, even with DVD-RW installed

* VGA Monitor Output

* Spot Monitor Output (not available on 4ch model)

* 10/100 Network Interface

WG4-HPV540 SONY HQ1 540 TV LINES

Sony Super HADTM Technology

• 1/3-Inch Format CCD Sensor

• Digital Signal Processing

• 540 Max TV Lines Resolution

• 0 Lux Infrared Sensitivity

• 36 High Powered LED Illuminators

• External Adjustable Varifocal Lens

• DC Auto Iris Drive

• Automatic Gain Control (AGC)

• Automatic White Balance

• IP66 Weatherproof Rating

• Integral Feedthrough Mount Included

Sensor Type 1/3-inch Sony Super HADTM CCD

Effective Pixels 768 (H) x 494 (V)

Scanning System 2:1 Interlace

Horizontal Resolution Color: 540 TV Line

Iris Control Auto

CCD Shutter Speed 1/60 - 1/10,000 second

Auto Iris DC

Minimum Illumination 0 lux:LED On, 1.0 (F/1.2):LED off

S/N Ratio >48dB

Automatic Gain Control Auto

Electronic Shutter Control Auto

White Balance Mode Auto

White Balance Range 3200 ~ 10000 oK

Sync Type Internal

Signal Processing Digital Signal Processing (DSP)

Gamma Correction 0.45

Video Output 1.0Vp-p(Sync, Negative), 75 ohms

IR Range 30M 35o

And cables and power supply

I'm not too knowledgable in deciphering the technical data. So, from these specs, do you think it will match the criteria I was looking for? Thanks.

I think you no need 540 TV lines, actually, for worldeyecam MB-530IR36, also can not achive to 530 TV lines. You can compare the price and your acutal requirements, then you can find what you need.

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I am planning to install a home security cam. but I'm not sure which products to go with. I'd be most interested if someone could point me to a complete system ready to install, or at least buy all the parts from one sourcel.

Things I want to have are: ease of use, DVR should start recording when there is motion detected; reliability, quality and parts should work well with long life, and ability to handle weather like snow or rain, etc.; video quality should be high, like if it is burned to DVD, the quality should look DVD quality. clear, sharp, recognizable facial detail. too often I've seen other's home cameras look nice on the monitor, but the recording just looks terrible.

Also, I've been trying to find a step by step video on how to install the camera, how to find the best place to mount etc. I only will set up to watch the front door, so it should be very simple.

Currently I was looking at:

and the worldeyecam MB-530IR36 Weather Proof Day/Night Bullet Security Camera 530TV lines

but I don't know the actual quality of the products. Does anyone have experience with these products? What do you recommend? Also, what else is needed to run the security cam and recording the video?

Thanks.

Hi,

may i know from what country are you?

so I may refer you to our nearest local dealer. thanks

best regards,

engr castro

I'm not too knowledgable in deciphering the technical data. So, from these specs, do you think it will match the criteria I was looking for? Thanks.

I'd say what you've picked out not only covers what you're looking for but is like killing a fly with rocket launcher. I'm not saying don't get it! Whatever makes you happy and comfortable with your choice is the most important thing, however I'm sure if you did a bit more searching you could easily find what your looking for 1/2 the price you're going to pay for that system.

I'll take a look around for you if you want, even though I can't offer what you want, I'd have no problem helping you pick out a system that will cover what you want and not empty your wallet.

I do have to ask though, how stuck are you on the worldeyecams? It's also a shame that you don't want to consider IP cameras because with the right software you could literally set up an 4 camera system that does everything you want it to for less than $1200....depending on the cameras you pick. Right now you're looking at spending 1200+ and, from what I've seen and priced out, you'll only be getting the dvr and 1 WG4-HPV540 for that price.

The DVR you picked tops out at over 1000. It does look like a good DVR, judging by the specs, and I know its what you WANT but is it what you NEED? You have to realize the difference or you're going to get strung out to dry on the price. For instance, if you have no need for a system that can pan, tilt or zoom you need to stear clear of systems that offer this function. Why spend 1000 on a dvr that has pzt controls built in when you can buy a similar dvr, with no built in pzt controls, for 500 less?

Also, and this isn't to discredit anyone, but more of a "heads up"....personally I'd steer clear of buying from organizations that registered at a forum in order to respond to my post with an offering from their site especially when they were refered by someone that joined just to respond to that same post. At least check out the site, though, as it may have what you need...but I wouldn't put to much stock into that referal!

Thanks Scott,

The specs of the system is what I am looking for, but if you could recommend a different system of similar or better quality or a better price then I'd definitely take a look! I'm not hooked on worldeyecam, but shopping around I haven't yet seen a system that is similar or better in it's specs. I'm still novice so there is probably some companies I have overlooked. Also, yes we don't need ptz (just today I finally figured out what ptz means), but it seems the higher quality dvr all have ptz controls?

The reason I don't want an IP cam, is mainly because I need to set up a network and computer. My family, who is going to have the cam, is not computer literate and don't have time to learn how to use one.

I would definitely rather have an overkill system with crystal clear clarity than one that would barely have recognizable people with blurry or pixelized faces. Spending around 1000-1500 is acceptable if the product is worth it, but of course spending less for a great system is still best. As you mentioned, a non ptz DVR will cost less, so I will look into that, and hope you have some suggestions for me.

Thanks everyone.

I'd say what you've picked out not only covers what you're looking for but is like killing a fly with rocket launcher. I'm not saying don't get it! Whatever makes you happy and comfortable with your choice is the most important thing, however I'm sure if you did a bit more searching you could easily find what your looking for 1/2 the price you're going to pay for that system.

I'll take a look around for you if you want, even though I can't offer what you want, I'd have no problem helping you pick out a system that will cover what you want and not empty your wallet.

I do have to ask though, how stuck are you on the worldeyecams? It's also a shame that you don't want to consider IP cameras because with the right software you could literally set up an 4 camera system that does everything you want it to for less than $1200....depending on the cameras you pick. Right now you're looking at spending 1200+ and, from what I've seen and priced out, you'll only be getting the dvr and 1 WG4-HPV540 for that price.

The DVR you picked tops out at over 1000. It does look like a good DVR, judging by the specs, and I know its what you WANT but is it what you NEED? You have to realize the difference or you're going to get strung out to dry on the price. For instance, if you have no need for a system that can pan, tilt or zoom you need to stear clear of systems that offer this function. Why spend 1000 on a dvr that has pzt controls built in when you can buy a similar dvr, with no built in pzt controls, for 500 less?

Also, and this isn't to discredit anyone, but more of a "heads up"....personally I'd steer clear of buying from organizations that registered at a forum in order to respond to my post with an offering from their site especially when they were refered by someone that joined just to respond to that same post. At least check out the site, though, as it may have what you need...but I wouldn't put to much stock into that referal!

I'll take a look around for you. Shouldn't be to hard to find what you're looking for for less. You are right, though, most high quality dvr's will have advanced controls (like pzt controls for instance) that you probably wouldn't utilize.

As far as the IP camera's go, to each his own, I can definitely work around you're not wanting them. However I'd feel as if I were doing you a diservice if I didn't say that they're not as complicated as you're making them out to be.

With the system you want right now you're making more of a "network" then you would be with an IP camera. Most IP cameras out right now are also, very literally, plug and play. This means that, besides mounting them, all you'd have to do is plug it into your computer via a usb port (or ethernet port) and start recording.

Don't worry though, I've got it....NO IP cameras lol. I'll find you a similar system to what your looking at now, and if I'm any good at my job I should be able to do it for far less than the 1200 you'd be spending on that set up.

Let me get this straight though, you're only interested in the one camera? For the door? What if I can find a 4 channel system that has the same specs you want and comes with 3 more cameras? I only ask this because more often then not it's going to be cheaper buying a complete system vs trying to build your own as, with most anything you can buy, buying in bulk is always cheaper.

If you want you can email me at email address in my profile here or the email address on my website and we can continue this outside of the forum, if I don't get an email from you I'll just post what I've found for you here in this thread.

Thanks Scott,

From the confidence and knowledge of your words, are you a security professional?

Currently we only need 1 camera, but a dvr's ability to add more is helpful. so 4 camera or 8 camera dvr is ok, as long as it can meet the specified quality. we'd rather have fewer cameras first, rather than buy one with 8 or 16, then have those other cameras just lying around.

So, IP camera is plug and play, I've been looking into that too. but i worry about the maintainance of windows os, (i've had the experience of needing to restart windows at least a few times a week), because my family doesn't know about computers, and wouldn't be able to tell if they need to restart windows because it got stuck, or if they restart it and it wasn't recording properly, how to use the keyboard, etc.

so that's why we want a standalone system, that can be reliable without worry. and if some un tech savy person isn't there, they can use it easily.

How do I find your email address? posting on this forum is ok. otherwise you can email me: noel@nc-games.com

Security professional is a very vague description of the expertise you require.

My story in a nutshell-

i've been fascinated with all electronic equipment since about 6 years of age. I studied electronics, electronic equipment service and repair and computerized electronic technology in school. I joined the marine corp as a radio operator and eventually went on to become a satallite communications specialist-which is why ill never recommend wireless unless its requested...too many factors can mess with your wireless signals. I've been out of the marine corps now for about 5 years and have been providing surveillance equipment recommendations, the equipment itself, and installations for a hobby since then.

I recently got into business for myself after a couple of "clients" said that if I ever did "this" for real theyd be willing to have me as thier only source of equipment/installs/maint for their systems. As I was already having fun with it, and had the knowledge, training, experience and confidence with dealing with the equipment and its deployement, the idea of starting my own business wasn't a scary one.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this forum to read this post. i'm looking for similar equipment for the specs you've listed now, in order to save you some money, and will email you a list of what I find. Jst remember that i can only show you equipment that matches the specs you've provided, nothing else unless I've used the equipment in the past. I personally cannot offer the equipment you want so it may take some time to find the right match.

i've emailed you my first recommendation. look for an email from myname@kpbtech (sorry i wrote the email like this to "fool" bots searching for email addresses)

as said in the email, im not affiliated with that seller so i know nothing of them other than whats shown via the specs provided, which meet/exceed your needs and for more than 400 less than the system you've shown here.

[moderator edit]

Yet another spam post removed.

Please read the rules, no advertising, no spamming....

[/moderator edit]

So, IP camera is plug and play, I've been looking into that too. but i worry about the maintainance of windows os, (i've had the experience of needing to restart windows at least a few times a week), because my family doesn't know about computers, and wouldn't be able to tell if they need to restart windows because it got stuck, or if they restart it and it wasn't recording properly, how to use the keyboard, etc.

so that's why we want a standalone system, that can be reliable without worry. and if some un tech savy person isn't there, they can use it easily.

That doesn't preclude the use of a Windows-based (or Linux-based, or any other sort of PC-based) DVR/NVR... it just means you build a dedicated machine for that purpose. We install plenty of Windows-based DVRs that are highly reliable (in fact, 99% of our installs are Windows-based systems)... as long as people aren't using them for web surfing, IM chatting, email, etc. Most Windows instability comes from user-induced faults; prevent the users from f*cking things up, and your DVR will run very happily on a PC.

Not all the systems with comprehensive functions are the best. You know systems with comprehensive functions will cost you much which is not worthwhile. You'd better first make clear your requirements, and then get some live support from those websites. They will recommend you the best proper one. Anyway, the most cost-effective one is the most ideal one. Never try to follow the price or function, for some functions are not must.

Best regards!