qman

Samsung SDN-520N

Got this cam today to test, pretty good Day Night Camera, still have to deep test it during the day, but the IR cut filter is a really nice feature that has, with it's low .001LUX rating, I can honestly say that it works BEAUTIFLY in really low and virtually no light conditions. A little inexpensive considering the features that it has, compared to other manufacturers with similar features; 480TV lines, 1/3" Sony Exview CCD, built in motion detector, plus, it has a remote connector, that aparently you can connect to an input on the alarm panel and it will trigger it.

I'll post some pics when I have hooked this up to a DVR.

Found this interesting article about it in a UK security website:

http://www.security-installer.co.uk/story.asp?storyType=166&sectioncode=50&storyCode=1023373

Received two Samsung 721's today from our friend Hermin. This is what I can report so far:

* Overall this is an excellent camera. Very nice image and color balance (even when monitored on a 50" HDTV).

* Lots of features and an RS-232 input so they can be set remotely.

Two issues:

* These cameras do not work correctly in B&W mode when powered with 12v DC. You must use 24v AC. This is not noted anywhere in the manual, except in the troubleshooting section which suggests using "AC power source" if you have problems switching to B&W mode.

* The lens back adjustment requires that you loosen two delicate pin-sized hex screws on either side of the lens mount. Fine for clock makers; maybe not so good for ham-fisted CCTV installers.

Installed one today and waiting for dark to see how this baby performs with IR illumination.

Hey there, cool.

Most Box cameras require you to loosen the mini screw to back focus. It should have come with one actually. And yep its a pain. Never seen 2 of them though.

The 3 features that make the price like it is, It is a Wide Dynamic Camera, Day Night, and it has their SSNR Technology. I have heard very good things about it.

Show us some IR shots ...

Email me them if you need somewhere to put them.

Rory

too much glare from the IR, it is confusing it, you need to get up to the IR Bulb with a monitor and adjust it until it stops and stays in one mode. Is it pitch dark?

And I take it this is the UF500??

It's dark now and the thrashing has stopped. Yes, it's the UF500 and image now from the camera is amazingly good! There's probably a sensitivity setting on the camera menu that I need to twiddle.

By the way, I went to capture a night shot with my laptop, but realized that all of my VGA cords go directly into the displays that are not connected to the internet. I'll need to invest in another VGA cord to capture an image. Maybe I'll go to Fry's tomorrow....

I thought you had the Kodicom DVR? Can you capture it over the lan using their client software?

Rory

arghh ..oh well ..

though you could still do a direct connect with a cat5 cable ..just set the IP info etc ..

yeah I forget what thats like sometimes ..!!

all i can get to eat after 5pm is fried chicken or a gas station hot dog!...

OH Sh*t!!!!

LOL

I'm happy that the cams work, I'm still waiting to hear from samsung about what the update was for, I'll let you know.

yeah I forget what thats like sometimes ..!!

all i can get to eat after 5pm is fried chicken or a gas station hot dog!...

Ah, paradise. Well... we're in the middle of a major hail storm here. Weird.

Rory, I haven't forgotten about your request to post shots from the new 721 camera, but woke this morning with the realization that maybe I can't import a video signal into my PC. I had just assumed I could import video via the VGA or S-Video ports, but can't seem to find a way to do that. I guess PCs can only output video from these ports. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Went to Fry's anyway .... just because I COULD . (And what a sorry place that's become -- they'll probably be going out of business soon.) Couldn't find half of the connectors I was looking for, but picked up some of the stuff I needed to get the Kodicom DVR connected to the DSL modem. Unfortunately, couldn't get everything to work. I've got some questions out to tech support, but probably won't be able to get any screen shots posted for a few days.

Which model is it, and what hardware do you have now? Router? Cables, etc..

Rory

Kodicom 516. 2Wire 1000SW modem/router (Yahoo/SBC DSL). Hardwired ethernet wire (that's why I went to Fry's) connection between modem and DVR.

Main problem is figuring how to configure the connection settings from the PC client. The DVR appears to be able to ping the modem, but the DVR UI and docs are really unclear on how to set this stuff up or how to check what's going on.

Without getting it actually on the internet, as that will require Port Forwarding on the router side....

You should be able to get to the DVR once you can ping it, locally.

Did you set all the local IP info in the DVR, and if so, can you connect to it with the Client Software from your PC on the local network?

You can also bring up Command Prompt and Telnet it with the IP and the Port, once it can do that the client software should be able to connect. If it has HTTP then you can normally just type the IP in the IE Browser Location also.

Rory

Good tips. I can ping the DVR from a CMD prompt on my PC, but can't telnet (because I'm not clear on the username and password settings) or connect via a browser by entering the IP address.

Kodicom has a client app to connect to the DVR. The doc ..well sucks.. and there's really nothing helpful there for anyone but a network jock.

Edited by Guest

you need to know the port, are you entering the port after the IP when you Telnet to it?

eg:

TELNET IP PORT

TELNET 192.168.1.200 1024

Depends what port it is.

in the Router you would look for Advanced and Port Forwarding in a Linksys Router, or others can be Servers/Gaming Applications.

If the port was 1024, and the Local IP is 192.168.1.200, then it would be:

NAME = Anything you want

Port = 1024 TO 1024

TCP/UDP = TCP

LOCAL IP = 192.168.1.200

ENABLED = CHECKED

For the browser part to work you normally have to also set up Port 80 as another Entry, using the Same settings.

then using a static IP or look in status of the router for your ISP's Dynamic IP assigned, you can even enter it locally instead of using the Internal IP, that way you know it will work from outside the local network.

Anyway that is port forwarding.

Also, if it accepts HTTP browser then you can set up a DDNS account with something like, DynDNS.org, get yourself a name and password, and set that in the DDNS section of the router. That way instead of using an IP address, always use the DDNS name you were assigned/set.

Email me the manual if you have one and ill look for the port. Heloder here on this forum would ofcourse know straight off as they sell Kodicom (thats Jason from Say Security)

Rory

Rory,

Emailed manual. I've already sent email to Jason and his tech guy and hope to get some help tomorrow. Like I said in my email to you, I thought I saw something of interest at the end of the manual. Too tired now to make use of any new information, so will be trying again tomorrow evening.

YEah that is just the remote software manual though. Need to send me the DVR manual. Ill try to find Kodicom's site and see if I cant get the Port myself.

Rory