nexis

Intellex Recorder overheating and shutting down

Hi,

I have an intellex dvr recorder, its been working fine, but it shuts down instantly and i think the system is overheating. Any clues of how i can resolve this issue.

Thanks

Some obvious suggestions, make sure there's adequate ventilation, do not place it on any other equipment or have anything on top of it.

Open it up and remove any excess dust, particularly on any fans. Be careful not to touch any devices to avoid static damage (do not use a vacuum cleaner and poke in a plastic nozzle!).

Leave the lid off and leave it working for a while to ascertain if heat is actually the problem or not.

You might want to verfiy any connectors are seated correctly, as an intermittent connector may cause a sudden shutdown.

More likely it seems like a faulty ATX power supply unit to me. Replace it with a new one. ATX modules are quite prone to failures caused by ageing components inside it, especially on Intellex units on which factory installed modules have barely enough power for normal operation. Also, don't try to run Intellex without the lid for a very long period, because VACD card can become quite hot without air flow!

The most obvious cause of your description of the problem is the processor fan... and then power supply... Change the processor fan first and see what happens... If it is an original Intel fan, they are dime a dozen and available all over.. if it is a generic 70mm fan (which AD used in the past), they are even easier to find...

At the worst case scenerio, it could be the motherboard, but before you change it, go through the basic recommendations above...