camera8820

Use conduit for wiring or go through wall

Greetings. I want to install an 8 camera system outside the house and wanted opinions/suggestions. House is all stucco/concrete block. Attached are the cameras.

Installation options:

1) Run 1" PVC Conduit outside the house in the corner where the overhang meets the wall. Install each camera onto a junction box that is then screwed to the walls. Conduit would enter the house in one location/conduit where the RG-59/U Siamese cable is routed to my to my DVR location.

or....

2) Install cameras directly to stucco, via a junction box. Then, fish wires through wall and into the attic, to my DVR location.

camera.jpg.26be7fe5379fbb8b3e654c3ffb9af16c.jpg

A third for through-the-wall, with a twist: if the cameras are going under the eaves, and you're pulling them into the attic anyway, try pushing the wires through the soffit and directly into the attic, to avoid breaking the wall envelope.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

I'll look at the soffit approach, however, will use junction boxes for each camera. That is, I'll mount the junction box to the soffit and the camera to the junction box.

Since I am already running RG59, should I also run CAT5E/CAT6 Plenum to "future proof" myself?

if you are able to get baluns cheap and cat5 cheap i would just run cat 5 as you could easy add another camera or 3 by using just two cores for power, as you are using juction boxs you should have the space to fit baluns. altho i have ran a 20 metre of cat 5 side by side with and with out baluns and checked the quality of image and..... no differance in picture.

Plenum cable type is only where you need to have fire resistant/low smoke/toxics such as when you go through areas where air is being supplied to occupants. Don't buy that kind of cable otherwise, the expense is unwarranted.

GP