harleyrider

CCTV Installation - Assistance

Working on a previously CCTV installation that includes a single DVR with 4 ports (INTEGRAL Solutions DVX500) and 3 installed Cameras (Bosch Unity UNPCS55E or UNPCH28). My client needs an additional camera installed that is "wide angle" to monitor additional area over their parking lot. Typically installing Nuvico Cameras, we contacted Nuvico and per Nuvico tech support we determined that a Nuvico (CV-W21N) should work fine with the Integral DVR. So we purchased the Nuvico. Upon installation, we removed the existing Bosch Cameras monitoring the parking lot and relocated it to another side of the building. This setup is working fine. Then we began to install the Nuvico camera. Once we tested it, we found out the Nuvico camera will not display on the Integral DVR. Upon testing all ports on the DVR with the existing Bosch cameras we found that all 4 ports on the DVR work fine. Additionally, we are assuming that the existing pre-installed wiring works correctly as the Bosch camera worked fine. We then tested the Nuvico camera with an LCD screen and it worked fine. At that point we contact Pelco which bought Integral and so they could perhaps provide support on the DVR. Upon contacting Pelco we were informed that Nuvico cameras "don't always work" well with Integral DVR's so they recommend we purchase a Pelco camera (IS110-DWV9 -much more $$). Unreal. So we ended up purchasing the Pelco specified by Pelco and found the same results. The Pelco would not display on the Integral DVR! During the installation the Pelco tech support representative informed us that the Pelco camera requires 24VAC with 10% error and that's probably why it wasn't working. The Altronix power supply (ALTV244), which powers the 3 Bosch cameras, is currently providing 27VAC power per our meter reading. Any suggestions on how to resolve would be great.

Thank you.

What's the voltage reading AT the camera? The Nuvico should also work at 24VAC, so as long as you're not getting excessive voltage drop over the power run, there shouldn't be an issue there (the fact that the camera works fine on a separate monitor would suggest power isn't the problem).

When you tested the monitor with the LCD, did you test it AT the camera, or at the cable you're trying to plug into the DVR? If the former, you may want to re-test the cable run and not assume it's okay just because it worked with the other camera (something could have even been damaged while installing the new camera).

My other thought is that if the DVR has daisy-chained in/out jacks for each channel, it's possible they aren't terminated properly and the Nuvico and Pelco simply aren't seeing the load they expect. There may be a termination option in the settings (you're probably looking for a "75 ohm/Hi-Z" option - you'll want 75 ohm if there's nothing connected to the OUT for that channel), or a switch for each channel on the back... or, some systems will auto-detect the termination needs at startup and you need to cycle the power on the DVR *with* the camera connected.

Other than that, there's really no reason pretty much any camera shouldn't work on that DVR, and I can't imagine why Nuvicos would specifically have a problem with them.

The voltage at the camera is 27VA. We did test the Pelco camera at the DVR directly using a 24VAC transformer and it didn't detect the camera. We will try the termination setting. Thank you for offering the advice. The one item I just notice is that the Altronix power supply allows for either 24VAC or 28VAC "selectable output". If it's showing 27VAC, then perhaps it's set to 28VAC and that's the problem. However, the 24VAC direct to the DVR didn't work...

Normally, the first thing I would do at this point is test the camera a the location it is installed. Use a test monitor. Is it working at that point? If it is not, I would pull it down and bench test it. Test it with the current power supply you have running to it now. If that doesn't work, try using a different power supply. A bench test might tell you a lot.

Being that more than one camera is not working, it doesn't seem like it is the camera though. The next possible situation would be that the DVR is so picky as to how perfectly in sync the camera is, that it is not accepting certain cameras. I had a situation like this once with a specific camera, and I happen to own a TBC (Time Base Corrector). When I went through the TBC, it worked fine. But if your systems is needing a TBC for both a Pelco and a Nuvico camera, there there is certainly something wrong with your DVR... it should not be that picky!