DeathtoToasters1

Need help mounting board camera outside by front door.

Well I had a dome above the front door and realized when I asked my son who was at the door, and he responded:

"I don't know dad...he has a hat on!"

that I had to change the location of that camera.

So I thought if I am going to mount a eye level camera, I might as well hide it.

So I am looking for suggestions on how to hide a board camera by the front door.

BUT here is the hitch....imagine you are facing the front door, and there is a wall to your right and left ,making up the archway. The camera has to be mounted to the right wall about 6 inches from the corner for the door.

So the camera will need to be mounted at a slight angle facing outward, toward the front of the archway.

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.stealthvue.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=2025&Category_Code=

but would want to make the box flush mounted. I can always mount the board camera on an angle inside the box.

That seems simple enough BUT would the smoked Plexiglas or plastic hurt the image quality during the day or night?

Any one have any experience in this?

Thanks alot!

PS - I have NO AFFILIATION with that company, just saw the box and thought it best described teh idea of what I wanted to do.

Edited by Guest

I think you have it down pat pretty good!

You can use clear plexiglass, and then layer light tint rather than use smoke colored plexiglass.

What about a mirror tint. People are vain right?

I think you have it down pat pretty good!

You can use clear plexiglass, and then layer light tint rather than use smoke colored plexiglass.

What about a mirror tint. People are vain right?

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Any idea how the tint may effect the quality of the picture especially at night?

Thanks

A light tint/smoke shouldn't adversely affect the image, really. Look at most dome cameras with tinted dome, the light loss on those is usually negligible.

Another idea for you for a camera location, BTW... I believe a couple manufacturers make cameras that look like your standard door peephole, if you want something really covert, that may be the way to go (have to be careful with the wiring, but it's not a big deal). There's even a site documenting the use of a typical door peephole as a fisheye lens for a variety of different cameras... with this concept, a board camera could potentially even be mounted to an existing peephole.