Arockerdude

Geovision Dongle cord Extension Needed

Can anyone tell me where to find a 4 foot Dongle extension cord for a Geovision 800 8 cam card? I want to move my camera cable connections to the garage on the other side of the wall because there just is not enough room behind my desk and there is too much tension on this small 8" inch cord that came with the card. Thanks Dave

Ps What do you guys do for this situation?

A dongle cord extension? Are you trying to extend the BNC connection to your cameras..? I would definitely check with the distributor you purchased it from for suggestions or you can definitely call our sales line in my signature.

Well, if I get a chance in the next day or two, I'll try it on my Vigil machine with the older HiCap card, it uses the same connectors... but I don't see why it shouldn't. All you'd need is an HD15 male-to-female extension cable - they'd generally be sold as VGA extensions.

Something like this:

102588_1.jpg

Be careful. Those cables usually do not have pin 9 in the cable. Even though it is advertised as 15 pin, it will most likely be 14 pin. I once used one of these cables for a temporary extension for my GV1480 and I wasn't able to view camera 7 because of the missing pin.

I see. Thanks for the info. I will make sure all the pins are there. I thought maybe the manufacture of the Geovision card would make an extension. But I can’t seem to find one. Thanks Dave

If they did, they'd probably just take a $5 VGA extension, slap a GeoVision logo on it, and charge $50 for it (shipping and handling extra).

Nothing against GV, of course... most other manufacturers probably would as well. But they probably also know they'd have a hard time selling them, as most "pros" would simply extend the BNCs.

Hi arockerdude,

I just checked with our technician about your inquiry and he says that you can not use a basic extension as mentioned above.

The only method to extend it would be to extend the BNC connection length. You can check with our technician at www.usavisionsys.com (link for chat on left side). Hope this helps!

Did your tech say WHY that wouldn't work?

I've toned out the octopus for the older HiCap cards that Vigil and VideoInsight use, they're the same style as the Geo breakout, and those only use pins 1-7 and 10 for video, and 11 & 15 for ground.

Hm he only said that it's designed to work with GeoVision products only, so the typical cable that you can find at a commercial store (ex. RadioShack) won't have the correct connection type or ability to stream the data through the wiring.

Outside of that you might have to contact our headquarters at support@geovision.com.tw for more information - hope this helps!

Hm he only said that it's designed to work with GeoVision products only, so the typical cable that you can find at a commercial store (ex. RadioShack) won't have the correct connection type

Horsehockey. It's a standard D-sub high-density 15-pin connector. The extension cable is a straight-through, pin-for-pin connection.

or ability to stream the data through the wiring.

"STREAM DATA"???? IT'S A FREAKIN' COMPOSITE VIDEO SIGNAL!

Outside of that you might have to contact our headquarters at support@geovision.com.tw for more information - hope this helps!

Um, no... doesn't really MATTER to me, but this "technician" sounds like he either doesn't have a clue, or is spewing some corporate shtick.

Well this is one of those cases where I wouldn't mind being wrong because there isn't anything extra for me to gain from being right - if he tries an extension cable and it doesn't work, then what?

I'm not really sure why "stream" doesn't work for you there, but in this case "stream" and "transfer" are pretty much interchangeable terms. Data has to get across the wire somehow, and once again if it doesn't go through, then...

I see where you're coming from on it and the logic is sound in theory, but since my tech recommended against it, I would not depend on it to work unless it has been tested.

Well this is one of those cases where I wouldn't mind being wrong because there isn't anything extra for me to gain from being right - if he tries an extension cable and it doesn't work, then what?

Well, then, he's got a spare VGA extension cable, handy for moving your computer farther away from your monitor. Or he's out $6 or so.

I'm not really sure why "stream" doesn't work for you there, but in this case "stream" and "transfer" are pretty much interchangeable terms. Data has to get across the wire somehow, and once again if it doesn't go through, then...

Yes, but it's not a "data stream". It's an analog video signal, there's nothing proprietary to GeoVision about that. There's nothing "special" about the cable - it's a way to take 8 BNC connectors and channel them into one small space on the back of the card. It doesn't do any processing of the signal, it's just wires.

The cable is nothing more than a male connector at one end, a female at the other, and straight-through wires between them; it isn't doing anything special either.

As someone else noted, the only FORESEEABLE problem would be with cheaper cables that don't connect all the pins.

I see where you're coming from on it and the logic is sound in theory, but since my tech recommended against it, I would not depend on it to work unless it has been tested.

You'll note I didn't say it WOULD work, only that it SHOULD, as there's no logical reason for it not to. "Proprietary" design and "data streams" don't even come into play.

Sorry man, it looks like you're arguing semantics with me at this point if you're bent on me writing "data stream" versus transfer...

I'll have our technician test it out in a few minutes - I'll be sure to let you know the results. Arguing about something in theory doesn't really mean much if it doesn't get the job done when you try it.

Hey Guys,

I just tested the connection w/ a VGA extension and it works with no problems. I did notice that the extension is missing the 9 pin as flatbedexpress mentioned.

Thanks for following up w/ me Soundy - I'll be sure to let me my tech know so that future inquiries will have the correct options available to them! On a side note, any idea what a distance limitation would be on a cable like that before you might experience video degradation?

we have tried using the vga extension trick and have not had good luck with it until we tied a ground to where the male female connectors meet. I have given up on the vga ext approach and have purchased some mini coax 6 ft bnc extensions. I have not tried this yet but will on my next install. We have used standard rg-59 bnc patch cords but they are not flexible and take up too much space on the rack.

Hey Guys,

I just tested the connection w/ a VGA extension and it works with no problems. I did notice that the extension is missing the 9 pin as flatbedexpress mentioned.

I haven't had a chance to test it, but I strongly suspect the GV octopus is identical to the one Vigil and VI uses... in which case, pin 9 isn't used.

Thanks for following up w/ me Soundy - I'll be sure to let me my tech know so that future inquiries will have the correct options available to them! On a side note, any idea what a distance limitation would be on a cable like that before you might experience video degradation?

Probably depends on the quality of the cable. Cheap cables used for actual VGA extension tend to introduce bad ghosting especially at higher resolutions; I would expect a cheap one to also cause problems with this type of signal. I have a 25' extension stashed away in a bin somewhere, if I can find that I'll test it with a Vigil.

Sorry man, it looks like you're arguing semantics with me at this point if you're bent on me writing "data stream" versus transfer...

The way you quoted your tech, with "...won't have...ability to stream the data through the wiring", it sounded like he was ascribing some sort of high-level processing to the breakout cable.