RichTJ99

Will NAS drives work with Geovision?

Hi,

I am still using my old GV900 card & 7.04 Geovision with XP Pro. I have been thinking about upgrading to a newer card but I think I want to wait to see how Windows 7 fleshes out and how long it takes Geovision to make it compatible.

Anyway, I now have a server with several large drives but I started using NAS enclosures as I think it costs less to run.

I still have a bunch of drives in my server but I was thinking it might be nice to get a few more NAS enclosures, & scale the server down to something with a small footprint while putting the drives into a NAS.

Will a NAS work OK with Geovision?

My network is GB btw.

Thanks,

Rich

Don't see why not - I've set up a number of 8x1TB RAID arrays with Vigil DVRs, using iSCSI-attached Enhance Technology arrays... despite Vigil not "officially" supporting NAS, these have been working nicely. The array simply maps as another drive letter, and Vigil doesn't appear to know the difference.

That sound like the kind of thing you would just have to try out. But don't forget with a DVR, it's not just one bandwidth at any given moment in tiem. The bandwidth changes according to motion (assuming motion setting) and number of cameras active at any given time. It might be fine with one camera, but perhaps with 5 running at one time, you will not be able to get the data written fast enought over the network.

So, you might test it with one camera, but then try three or four.

Also, I would think you would want a newer Gigabyte NIC and NAS and switch.

Report back, and let us know how it goes. Might come in handy someday.

We're doing it, on the largest site with 22 analog cameras and five 1.3MP IP cameras, all running at an average of 4-5fps. We're using a Linksys SPE-1000P switch - eight 10/100 ports with PoE for the cameras, two GbE ports for the DVR and the NAS. Whole thing runs like a charm; the switch isn't even breaking a sweat, even with all cameras recording.