ini

Real World Network Impact of Megapix Cameras

Good day folks!

I have a very generic question for you all. I'm working on a surveillance quote for two pharmacies that I provide IT consulting services for. Each network has two servers, 6-8 workstations and is gigabit to the desktop. I've seen the bandwidth calculators to determine amt of traffic of IP cameras based on resolution, frame rate, type of compression, etc. But, my question is: for a network this small, if I plan to integrate 6-8 1.3mp cams into the network do I need to worry about segmenting it via VLANs or other means or will this be fairly transparent to the users? I guess I should state that these aren't very demanding networks. I know this is a fairly vague question, with many variables..just looking for an idea. Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.

Also, if any of you know of HIPAA regs or recommendations that might make this sale go more smoothly, I'd be all ears.

Well, if it's any help, I have done something just like this - "real-world". Added four 1.3MP IQ cameras feeding *two* DVRs (one just outside the office, above the office door - NOT my idea! - and one in a remote locked room - site had problems with someone tampering with the "main" DVR). As with your instance, the site really doesn't have a lot of inherent network traffic - the network mainly serves the paypoint terminals and administrative email.

The DVR and cameras are connected to a basic D-Link DSS-5 5-port 10/100 switch (in the ceiling outside the office), which is linked to the office's main (enterprise-grade) switch. Also plugged into the main switch is an iSCSI-attached NAS array (located in the office) for additional storage. From that switch, a line feeds to the phone/electrical room, where the incoming WAN connection is... a second 5-port switch in that room splits the WAN out to the office, and to the "backup" DVR.

Thus far, there has not been a problem with this. The company's IT manager regularly remotes into both machines via VPN, both with the remote client software and with VNC, and has no issues with lag or speed.

THEORETICALLY, it's not a great setup. THEORETICALLY, the results should be disastrous. REAL-WORLD, the whole site is a $#!t-show and the install had to be completed with what little space and time was available. REAL-WORLD, it actually works just fine.

I think Soundy answered this perfectly. I would add one thing to the mix as well as we start to see more PCI/SOX/HIPPA requirements come down the pipeline. We are building complient machines that may help you if they require this for their network. If you have a minute, check out the white paper here. http://www.3xlogic.com/pci

Hope that helps.

I think Soundy answered this perfectly. I would add one thing to the mix as well as we start to see more PCI/SOX/HIPPA requirements come down the pipeline. We are building complient machines that may help you if they require this for their network. If you have a minute, check out the white paper here. http://www.3xlogic.com/pci

Hope that helps.

I would love to read the white paper however, I don't know you well enough to give you all of my contact info just to do so....

Well, if it's any help, I have done something just like this - "real-world". Added four 1.3MP IQ cameras feeding *two* DVRs (one just outside the office, above the office door - NOT my idea! - and one in a remote locked room - site had problems with someone tampering with the "main" DVR). As with your instance, the site really doesn't have a lot of inherent network traffic - the network mainly serves the paypoint terminals and administrative email.

The DVR and cameras are connected to a basic D-Link DSS-5 5-port 10/100 switch (in the ceiling outside the office), which is linked to the office's main (enterprise-grade) switch. Also plugged into the main switch is an iSCSI-attached NAS array (located in the office) for additional storage. From that switch, a line feeds to the phone/electrical room, where the incoming WAN connection is... a second 5-port switch in that room splits the WAN out to the office, and to the "backup" DVR.

Thus far, there has not been a problem with this. The company's IT manager regularly remotes into both machines via VPN, both with the remote client software and with VNC, and has no issues with lag or speed.

THEORETICALLY, it's not a great setup. THEORETICALLY, the results should be disastrous. REAL-WORLD, the whole site is a $#!t-show and the install had to be completed with what little space and time was available. REAL-WORLD, it actually works just fine.

May I trouble you to ask what kind of DVR's\NVR's you used in this instance? I was thinking about the 4ch NUUO mini. Any thoughts, good or bad there? thanks so much!!

Hope that helps.

I would love to read the white paper however, I don't know you well enough to give you all of my contact info just to do so....

No worries, you can download it off of our website there.

Hope that helps.

Worries..when I click "download whitepaper now" it directs me to a site requiring my info...??

Hope that helps.

Worries..when I click "download whitepaper now" it directs me to a site requiring my info...??

Ya, they just like to know who visits the site. Put whatever you would like.

Hope that helps.

Got'cha...didn't want to seem rude...

May I trouble you to ask what kind of DVR's\NVR's you used in this instance? I was thinking about the 4ch NUUO mini. Any thoughts, good or bad there? thanks so much!!

I have install 2 NUUO MiniNVRS and so far so good. My only major complain is the bandwidth limitation, 20megs on the 4 channnel, 30 megs on the 8 channel and 22 on the 16 channel. I have run 4 1.3 megpixel ACTi cameras without a problem but one Arecont 3130 can over load the 4 channel Mini. If you are going to have 8 cameras I would recommend you go with the 8 channel version so you don't have to use the client software to view multiple mini's.

We're using Vigil PC-based hybrid DVRs (made by Erron's company, in fact). In this particular client's sites, we've got 32-channel systems running anywhere from 18 to 28 total cameras (largest one has 23 analog and 5 1.3MP IP cameras).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for directing me to this whitepaper...very informative.

I don't see a problem. Using "ip video system design tool" it shows the bandwidth for 8 such cameras with 25 FPS MJPG is just about 250 MBit/s.

All 1Gb network can easily handle bandwidth bellow 500 Mbit/s.