cyber_wop

Accessing DVR (eg AVTECH) inside impenetrable network

Hi everybody,

Here's my problem, I really hope somebody can give me a hand !

I live in Italy, and my service provider is Fastweb. Very good connection, a 10Mb uplink/downlink through optical fibre, BUT it's a big Metropolitan Area network, shielded from the outside world by NAT/routers/firewalls which I can not obviously touch....

Hence, there's no way I can access my DVR, sitting at home, from any PC/client over the web

I really need to build a videosurveillance system, eg. a DVR with 3 cameras, so I desperately need to find an alternative solution.

I thought of a couple of ways, but I wanted to know if they could work (maybe somebody has already done it) and if an AVTECH could do the job (or if others may do it)

- Streaming Video through Web Server. There are companies out there (eg. pysoft,com) that provide web streaming services (eg. yourname,web2cam,com) for webcams. DVR could send video and audio to the web server. Web server redirects this content to the viewers. Viewers don't need to connect to the surveillance DVR directly. Cool. But can an AVTECH "send" data out, initiate autonomoulsy a connection to the web server ? how ? I read it can do quicktime streaming, but I'm not sure what I can do with it

- FTP images. DVR could post images (better if overwriting file with same name) onto my webserver. I could write a web page that refreshes every second or so, and obtain a home made video... not an ideal solution, but better than nothing. that is, IF the Avtech was capable of FTPing images constantly, and not only on trigger/alarm. Can it ?

- VPN. If I could create a VPN (eg. hamachi) between the DVR and the PC, then I should solve the problem of the firewall/nat. But I can't connect the PC to the DVR, it should be the DVR to connect to the PC... Again, can the DVR initiate anything ? Can I install hamachi on the Avtech ? I doubt it...

PLEASE help ! Any suggestion will be highly appreaciated ! and I promise a Parmesan cheese to whomever solves this for me !

thanks!

I could give you a half-dozen ways to do it if you were using a PC-based DVR... could probably do it with a PC on-site running something like TeamViewer VPN and acting as a bridge to the DVR.

I could give you a half-dozen ways to do it if you were using a PC-based DVR... could probably do it with a PC on-site running something like TeamViewer VPN and acting as a bridge to the DVR.

I know... maybe I'm complicating my life too much, but I was hoping a modern DVR could have spared me the need for a PC running 24hours a day... an extra piece of hardware difficult to hide... at that point I might as well go for software DVR...

Worst case, I'll go that route... but is it possible that nothing out there, no DVR, no networking solution, can be found ?

Hey, did I find a marketing need ? might open my own company and build a serious DVR

Well, what you need is a DVR that can create an outgoing remote-access connection to a central server, and then you connect to that server and it facilitates your connection back to the DVR. Remote-support applications like TeamViewer use this concept.

I'm not aware of any standalone DVRs that use this concept, but there are some IP cameras that do - they've been discussed here before, I couldn't tell you the brand and model off the top of my head. If all you need is remote viewing and no local recording, that might be a way to go.

Most IP cameras also do support sending to remote sites via email and/or ftp... that might be something to look into.

Can you access it from a pc at your home? How about gotomypc on your home computer?

Same kind of idea as I already suggested... and what he's trying to avoid.

I know... maybe I'm complicating my life too much, but I was hoping a modern DVR could have spared me the need for a PC running 24hours a day... an extra piece of hardware difficult to hide... at that point I might as well go for software DVR...

Worst case, I'll go that route... but is it possible that nothing out there, no DVR, no networking solution, can be found ?

Hey, did I find a marketing need ? might open my own company and build a serious DVR

Plug and Play IP Cam

works almost thru any firewall routers and so on...

need more info sent me PM

Whatever you use, its going to have to connect to a server outside of your firewall ... then when you are on the outside, you can connect to that server, since you wont actually have an IP thats accessible from the outside. Good luck with your search.

Plug and Play IP Cam

Won't solve the problem. The problem is that I'm on a private network, I can't access the outmost routers to configure them, they're NATting, clients like me share same public IP addresses.. and DynDns won't work either.

The only way is for the DVR, or Camera, to PUSH, to SEND out the data to something on Internet.

Alternatively, create a VPN, but yet again the client should reside on the DVR and initiate connection!

Whatever you use, its going to have to connect to a server outside of your firewall ... then when you are on the outside, you can connect to that server, since you wont actually have an IP thats accessible from the outside. Good luck with your search.

Exactly, my problem is that I can't find any device which can connect to the outside world...

they are all lazy things that sit there with a webserver waiting for somebody to connect TO them...

Hence my call to some DVR expert, somebody that can tell me out to stream out, or to install a vpn on the avtech, anything !!...

I just found a product that more or less does what I need:

www,VueZone,com

buy as far as I can see: 1 is not out yet, 2 battery life is a huge problem (3 days of continuous recording)..

How is it possible that no other serious DVR could offer a similar solution ?

Plug and Play IP Cam

Won't solve the problem. The problem is that I'm on a private network, I can't access the outmost routers to configure them, they're NATting, clients like me share same public IP addresses.. and DynDns won't work either.

But that's exactly what he's talking about. Same as rory said:

Exactly, my problem is that I can't find any device which can connect to the outside world...

they are all lazy things that sit there with a webserver waiting for somebody to connect TO them...

The only way is for the DVR, or Camera, to PUSH, to SEND out the data to something on Internet.

This is what the "plug and play" IP cameras ak357 is talking about do - they initiate an outgoing connection to an outside server... you then surf to that server, and it connects you back to your cameras.

They're basically cameras that operate the way you're wanting your DVR to operate.

This is what the "plug and play" IP cameras ak357 is talking about do - they initiate an outgoing connection to an outside server... you then surf to that server, and it connects you back to your cameras.

They're basically cameras that operate the way you're wanting your DVR to operate.

Things is, I've been looking at several IP cameras, even bought one, but I can't find any that does that !

Even though they don't offer same functionalities as real DVR, they may do the trick... that is, if I find the right ones!

Any suggestion ? Thanks !

Oddly enough, I can't find the thread discussing the "plug and play" cameras on here... but I'm sure ak357 can point you to some more info on them.

Not sure about all other models but the AVTech 792,782,715,717 and digiguard support FTP as far as I can remember.

The plug and play camera can be found at any "spy shop", or video surveillance shops that carry covert camera / DVR all in one objects such as air purifiers, mantel clocks ect.