Look at your cellphone, wrist watch, and everything around you. Can you be more specific?

As soon as I hear from my software guys I can let you know the specs I would need. Looking for something small, rugged able to be used outdoors. It could even be running linux and use a large capacity solid state drive. It would need to have a network port. I don't think I would need video as long as I can remote in the machine and set it up.

If it could fit in a camera housing like this with Arecont camera that would be great.

104614_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

What would the main function of the PC be? I've seen a lot of Palm/ or Windows Mobile applications made and used for various computing needs. The devices they run on are cheap, reliable, easy to find, and very small. If something more powerful is needed, would running a high power wireless network be an option? With LOS and the proper equipment, I've heard of the range being tens of miles. This would allow you to run a normal PC in a less demanding enviornment.

I found this: Google search "tangent mini 965." has a foot print of 6.54" W x 6.18" L x 1.89" H. No prices listed though... not a good sign. Get ready to bend over.

Depending on what you need to run, something like the Via Pico-ITX form factor board might work. See http://www.logicsupply.com/products/px10000g for an example.

I've used the Mini-ITX boards in some applications outdoors, with the proper ventilation they work fine, these should be similar.

I've used the C7 1.2 Ghz to run Exacq or Milestone for two AV5100DN's outdoors at 3-4 FPS, the 1.0 Ghz should be fine for one cam.

Depending on what you need to run, something like the Via Pico-ITX form factor board might work. See http://www.logicsupply.com/products/px10000g for an example.

I've used the Mini-ITX boards in some applications outdoors, with the proper ventilation they work fine, these should be similar.

I've used the C7 1.2 Ghz to run Exacq or Milestone for two AV5100DN's outdoors at 3-4 FPS, the 1.0 Ghz should be fine for one cam.

Thats what I want to do

I've had a couple of setups like this running through a few (110 degree) summers, now. SNC00030

Having said that, if Mobotix cams can do well enough, I am looking at separating the cam and recording hardware with a wireless link to get the recorder in a more hospitable location.

That will also enable me to use a NAS, instead of a full-blown OS/ software install on the units. Thinking maybe a Q24 overview with tight shots from the M12-devkit.

Any experience with the license plate filter cam module?

I've had a couple of setups like this running through a few (110 degree) summers, now. SNC00030

Having said that, if Mobotix cams can do well enough, I am looking at separating the cam and recording hardware with a wireless link to get the recorder in a more hospitable location.

That will also enable me to use a NAS, instead of a full-blown OS/ software install on the units. Thinking maybe a Q24 overview with tight shots from the M12-devkit.

Any experience with the license plate filter cam module?

I am digging the Mobotix product but I haven't found it that user friendly yet and the frame rates are low. (I haven't played with the new series with double frame rates) I think Exacq would work perfect on a micro pc with a Arecont camera.